What I learned at the SAD light session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learned at the SAD light session

In another thread I mentioned I'd be attending an information session about SAD lights. Well, it was worth going to.

I found out the mental health office in Saskatoon runs SAD light trials, where you take the Beck Depression Inventory (a measure of how depressed you are), and are given a light to take home and use as instructed for two weeks. When you return, you take the inventory again to see if your mood has improved. They have intakes on a regular basis. They use the original "Day-Lite" manufactured here in Canada. (Because I'm already convinced the light works for me I declined the trial.)

A few things I learned:

- Make sure you have no serious eye problems before using a SAD light.

- Sit at a table or desk no darker than oak in colour, because a dark surface absorbs some of the light rays. A a light coloured tablecloth will work ok.

- Make sure there is another source of light in the room, like lamps or light from a window, because otherwise the light is too harsh.

- Sit at the correct distance and angle from the light, as instructed by the manufacturer.

- Don't use the blue-type lights because they have been known cause eye problems.

- The usual "prescription" is a light with a power of 10,000 lux, used in the morning for 30 minutes.

- Some people can avoid taking anti-depressants if the SAD light works well for them, but don't fiddle with your anti-depressant medication simply because you're using the light.

- Work in partnership with your doctor or other informed professional as you experiment with the light. (This is easier said than done, considering most doctors and psychiatrists know very little about SAD lights and many don't believe in them.)

- And very important: If you have bipolar disorder, only attempt SAD light therapy under close supervision by a doctor or other mental health professional, as hypomania/mania could be triggered by too much exposure to the light. (Once again, easier said than done , considering most doctors and psychiatrists know very little about SAD lights and many don't believe in them.)

There is more information too, which I don't have handy and will post another time. If you live in Saskatchewan and want contact information for the mental health people involved, please send me a private message (join the forum if you're just "lurking") and I'll try to help.

On a cute note: informal "polls" have been taken by those who run the sessions, which show that a popular food people turn to in winter is Cheezies (the original hard crunchy ones). People have also been known to break off the corner of a new salt lick (any cattle farmers here?) to suck on. And of course there's the usual carb,chocolate, fats, etc. cravings... something to do with our animal brain thinking we'd better store up now, because who knows when our next meal will be... even though we no longer live on ice floes...
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

thanks uni! very informative and interesting!
    Anne.

Comment

Thanks for the info Uni...I was wondering about that very topic.
      Jennifer

Comment

Thanks Uni. That is good to have that info. I am trying one for the 2nd yr.

Comment

Thx Uni. Great info. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Good info, I don't know much about SAD lights.

Comment

Thanks for the info Uni! Maybe I should go work in a green house... I wonder if anyone has ever studied the moods of horticulturalists?
              As for the salt block - as a child I didn't bother with the "new" requirement. I was one with the goats. And happy... maybe there's something to it!

Comment

Well, I worked in horticulture for two years. The first season was one of the best summer's of my life. I had endless energy, I was
                happy all the time, I worked like crazy and never complained, I slept well and ate well and kept productive. I felt like a normal
                person again. The second year, I had serious depression and anxiety and it took every ounce of my being to hold onto that job. I
                moved slowly, I was tired all the time, I hated talking to people, I didn't care about my work anymore; life was horrible. Still a
                better job than some for doing while depressed because I didn't have to talk to too many people as part of my job. Then I had a job
                working outdoors all day at an outdoor garden centre and I HATED MY LIFE. If I was that bad with adequate amounts of sun
                exposure, just imagine how depressed/anxious I would be without any sun exposure!

astronaut

Comment

Hello,

This is Etienne from France.

I've been tring a new Lumie 10 000 lux light for the last four weeks. It seems to work, but as I do not work presently, nothing is better than a long walk with the dog when the weather allows it.
                  We tend to have mild, grey, cloudy winters overhere, in the North, close to belgium.

Cheers

Etienne
                  theres a crack, a crack, in everything,
                  that's how to get the light in Leonard Cohen

Comment

We have grey, mild, cloudy winters here in Vancouver too. I also find a long walk with the dog to be very therapeutic....when the weather allows it!
                    Rebecca

Comment

This morning in central Ontario it was -25c and overcast. Neither the dog nor I got in much of a walk or benefit from it. Yesterday it was around zero, who turned off the heat.

Well I guess that what happens when the sun doesn't shine. Although it has warmed back up some, it's still overcast. Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Drat! I knew I shouldn't be living in a place that doesn't allow pets... who has a dog to lend me?!

A question: which do you think is worse - a cloudy mild climate with little snow, or a sunny cold climate with lots of snow? I can't decide...
                        Last edited by uni; December 30, 2011, 05:13 PM. Reason: picking brains with a question
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Dogs are good for incentive to walk and company. We are missing ours that died, at a very good old age this past summer. Might find another when the time is right .

Comment

How cold Uni?
                            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                            for not being what they believe they should be.
                            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Uni. My dog is always willing to go for a walk, but you have to bring her back each night.

I can take or leave the snow, but I gotta have some sunlight. I know that the few times that I lived in really cold areas, I didn't catch nearly as many colds as I do now in the warmer and wetter area that I live in.Take Care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X