Coming out of hibernation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming out of hibernation?

So it's well into spring now, and I feel like crap. Both my pdoc and tdoc tell me this is a busy time of year for them. My tdoc went so far as to say that March is the highest suicide month. Apparently it has to do with the primitive part of our brain reacting to the longer daylight hours; our brains can't quite keep up so there's a time lag before we get back in synch.

I have heard that before and believe there is some truth to it. I also believe that most people find it doesn't interfere with their life. I also believe that for those of us susceptible to mood disorders it can very much interfere. My own experience has been that depression happens any old time of year, but maybe I need to look more closely at this spring thing anyway. I'm considering hauling out my old mood charts but am afraid of what I might find (there we go with the anxiety again).
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

hmm, interesting point. I tend to agree with you that depression happens any old time of year for me. My best months are usually
    August, September, October and November and maybe most of December; however, that being said, during one particular
    episode those were the very worst months. I've had some pretty bad March's and February's too and one really bad bout in June
    and July, and, now that I think about it, I have experienced some form of severe depression or anxiety during every month of the
    year at one time or another. i don't need to look at the mood charts to see that!

astronaut

Comment

Hello Uni. I could show you stats that indicate that suicide is more prevelant in any mth. The fact is it really doesn't matter. As you know I get really depressed every spring, however the two times that I did try and commit sucide it happened in the summer months.

Besides, in your and I's cases (at least in the last few years) we are not talking about suicidal depression. We are talking about feeling like sh*t depression, increased irritability and general being unable to maintain a consistent happiness. While this can feel like a black hole it is much different than the "I want to end my life right now" type of depression. Or at least for me it is. Plus with this type of depression I know that I'm probable going to get better sometime. However when I was suicidal I was sure that my live wasn't worth living. Plus I was rarely irritable because I just didn't talk to anyone.

Doesn't matter what the experts think or for that matter, what I think, the fact is feeling depressed is not good. If you still feel this bad when you come back from your holiday you should probably take a full inventory of possible causes. That includes the possibility that your meds aren't working well and/or your life style/eating habits need changing.

I say after you come back as I often find that when I have big moments coming up in my life my moods are sometimes all over the board.

I hope that you feel better soon. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Dear Uni, I know what u mean. The light is there, but it takes a while, doesn't it. I just had a stray suicidal thought today. It is just a thought, not a plan, but it is an indicator of how one feels. I have this big, old, 96 ft fence to stain this spring, and I can't wait to soak in the sunshine!!!

Comment

I think the weather is bringing me down some this week. It’s cold. We had snow Friday. And it stayed most of the day! Ahhh!! I was glad to go to work where it was cozy and full of delicious restaurant smells.
          Summer please come soon! (And stay longer!!)

Comment

Hello Kaight. I agree. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

The weather here has all of a sudden been sunny and warm for the last week or so. I'm starting to sleep a little less, feeling a little more energetic.
              It's supposed to stay nice for another week, so I'm going to try to spend lots of time outside.
              Rebecca

Comment

Good for you, Rebecca. Hopefully being outside more will help with your mood too. How have you been feeling lately?

astronaut

Comment

I'm hanging in there astronaut, thanks for asking.

I'm between therapists right now and trying to decide if I should start with a new one right away or wait until the summer is over.

I'm still a little down, but seem to be swinging back up with the weather.

How're you??
                  Rebecca

Comment

Hey Rebecca,

Glad to hear that the weather is helping to lift your spirits a bit. It may be helping me too, although I have been stuck inside working a lot lately so I haven't seen as much of the sun as I'd like to. I'm managing okay right now, I guess. I am also kind of in between therapists. I just ditched the last one because she wasn't a good fit for me and now I'm on a wait list for a group CBT kind of session. Is there any particular reason that you would want to wait 'til the summer is over before you get a new therapist?

I hope your week goes alright!
                    astronaut

Comment

It's a money thing, to be honest. Right now I can go while my daughter is in school but during the summer I have to pay a sitter in order to go.
                      Rebecca

Comment

Astronaut - is your semester over soon?

Comment

Hey Rebecca, that's too bad about having to pay a sitter. Can you not go when your husband is home, or are the hours of the
                          counselling place really narrow?

Kaight--My second term is over but I have started my third term. My program is two full years with no break. This term is very
                          different from last term though. Last term I had class everyday and I did a lot of practical work and group work. I was always doing
                          hands-on type stuff and almost all of my work was with other people. This term I have one seminar class once a week for four hours but I also have independent thesis research to do. That means that this term I will be more isolated and have my head in a book or in front of a computer most of the time... (and just when it is starting to get sunny out too).

astronaut

Comment

Astronaut - Yikes! That sounds really intense! Being alone that much sounds a bit daunting… do you find that better or worse for your mood?

Comment

They do open on some evenings, but my husband often works late and so keeping those appointments becomes difficult.
                              Rebecca

Comment

Working...
                              X