Narrowing it down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narrowing it down

I'm still narrowing down what type of SAD light to purchase, and still finding it hard to access reliable information.

The light I've used for years (consisting of one long fluorescent tube) has become weaker over time, meaning I have to sit in front of it for a longer time in order to benefit. In the course of looking into buying a replacement bulb I've discovered that the type of light it emits is not considered to be as beneficial as newer models out there, although it probably still helps.

As I think I mentioned in another thread, I recently rented a model called the "Day-Light Sky" which is made by the same company as the larger "Day-Light Classic" model (on which some reliable scientific studies have been done). I found the rental light just too bright for me, even on the lower setting, because I began to feel a bit nauseous and jittery after sitting in front of it. Reactions like that can be indicators of "light overdose" - a new term to me, but quite apt. So I returned the rental without buying one.

Last year I had bought a small travel light called a "Litebook", which has a bit of research behind it and is being looked at more closely in scientific studies. It has a couple of drawbacks, one of which is glare and the other its small size, both of which mean you must be very careful how to position yourself in front of it. However, I have been using it for the last few days and am getting the hang of it, so will continue using it until and if I find a larger one to keep at home.

I'm now using the light for 30 minutes and keeping tabs on my mood. So far I feel cautiously optimistic because my depression has been lifting for longer periods between down times. How much can be attributed to the light I'm not sure, but having responded positively in the past I will keep at it.
    Last edited by uni; October 22, 2012, 06:14 PM.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Thought I'd let you guys know I've decided to stick with the Litebook for now despite the glare factor and smaller light beam, because I haven't found a larger one I'm satisfied with. I take this one along when I'm away from home. I'm liking the fact that it can be charged up and used in different rooms of the house. I believe it's helping my mood, as I'd hoped it would
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. Thx for posting this info. I do not use a SAD lamp, but I'm thinking about getting one and I have been reading your comments with interest. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

I'm certainly intrigued by SAD light therapy. A appreciate all the research you've done - will use your advice if I do get a light!
        What are the dimensions of the Litebook?
        Last edited by Kaight; November 20, 2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Kaight, the Litebook is surprisingly small for being so effective - just under six inches square. Which makes the cost seem crazy - around two hundred dollars, and it doesn't ever seem to go on sale. Obviously the market is out there, though. I justify the cost by looking at how quickly two hundred dollars adds up when buying medication. Anyway, it comes with a carrying case and adapters for different countries if you travel. This is the long answer to your short question
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you! That does seem tiny. (At least in comparison to the sun its meant to replace! )

Comment

yep, definitely a lot smaller than the sun!
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

i'm now looking into getting an SAD light, by the recommendation of my GP...
                i'm doing some research into different lights, and reading this thread, where did you rent from uni?
                -Cas

Comment

Hello Caseyh. Dell pharmacies rent SAD lights on a trial basis in the Hamilton area. I don't think that it's a good deal, but I have provided a link to their web page. I also included links to other places that rent S.A.D. lights in Ontario.

For anyone living in Manitoba,the Mood Disorders Assoc. of Manitoba has the best deal on rentals and a pretty good deal on purchases. I have included that link as well at the very bottom. Take Care. paul m

Canada's Premium Rehab Supplier since 1988. Physiotherapy, Clinic, Chiro and Massage Therapy Supplies and professional support. Brands: Biofreeze, Cryoderm, Thera-band, Sanctband, Spidertech Tape, Cefar, DJO, Chattanooga, Seirin

Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks so much Uni! that's a huge help and good that I can test before purchasing. As a student $200 is a decent amount of money to be spending.
                    -Cas

Comment

I can't take credit for the links Paul posted - I live in Saskatchewan... but for anyone out here who is interested in the rental, I got the light from (don't take the "seniors" label too seriously - they sell all sorts of health-related devices - ) "Sage Seniors Resources" at Market Mall in Saskatoon.
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

hi uni,
                        visited here for first time over holidays, and was intrigued by thread title. Thought perhaps you were "Narrowing down" SAD in general, but I see now you know this is your issue, and are doing something about it. Can you tell me please how you got this far? Has a Dr diagnosed you as SAD? Is it something that is diagnosed or is it part and parcel of general depression?
                        I know someone who swears her SAD is helped greatly by tanning beds. I think it's an excuse to spend money she doesn't have on something she wants, and I'm not even sure she is technically SAD, or again, just wants to tan guilt free. lol But perhaps I'm wrong. Would it help or does it need to be the specialized light box? And how do you know you need one as opposed to just needing more drugs? or better drugs?
                        Sorry so many questions. I have lots of concerns, as do most people here I'm sure, and I hope this will be a safe place to ask.
                        Thanks
                        me

Comment

Welcome to the forums Secretme. You'll find the people on this forum very supportive. Share as little or as much of yourself as you feel comfortable with and ask whatever questions you'd like. You'll find this to be a safe place to ask questions, vent or share a little something of yourself if you so choose.
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Secretme and welcome. In regards to S.A.D. lamps, it does have to be a specialized type of lamp. Having said that, sometimes tanning can help ones mood. Not so much from the actual light rays, but often people think that when they are tanned that they look better. When we think that we look better, often we feel better about ourselves. Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Hi secretme,

You can be diagnosed with SAD by a medical doctor with psychiatric backing or by a psychiatrist. SAD is not necessarily a part of every type of depression. I wouldn't recommend tanning beds for treating SAD. As Paul said, you need a particular type of light ray to treat SAD and tanning beds can cause skin cancer because of the over exposure to UV rays.

In answer to your question of How do you know if you need a SAD light as opposed to more meds? Well, you don't know. All treatment for depression is done by trial. There are hundreds of meds and med combinations that can be taken to treat depression. Meds can be changed and dosages can be changed to find something that helps the person suffering with depression. However, if the person with depression is not responding to meds, if their depressions tend to come on in the winter or spring, if they live in the northern hemisphere where there are cold, cloudy winters and short days, then a SAD light might be worth a try. SAD lights might also be a good treatment option for people who have extreme reactions to drugs and can't tolerate side effects. That being said, like all depression treatments, SAD lights can be helpful for some people and not helpful at all for others.

astronaut

Comment

Working...
                              X