A SAD summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A SAD summer

I have been going in and out of depression all summer. Usually I do better in summers but not this year.
    There was a piece on our local news last night about a spike in Light Therapy Sales this summer due to the number of cloudy and rainy days we have had. This is the first time I hear about SAD actually occuring in the summertime! I was a bit surprised to realize it's not only me. I guess I can take small comfort in knowing there are others out there. Maybe I need to purchase one of those lamps?
    Has anyone had any experience with light therapy?
    Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but you know they are always there.
    BPII, DiValproex, Cipralex, Xanax

I have a friend with a special lamp for SAD. She says it really helps her.

I haven't used one myself.

Comment

Hello Froggie. It's been that kind of summer.

Depending on where you live you may be able to rent one to try it out. People in Manitoba can rent one fairly cheaply from the Mood disorders of Manitoba. In Ontario you can rent one from Dell's pharmacy in southern Ont. I do not know about the rest of Cda.

Generally speaking the larger and more powerfull the unit, the less time that must be spent near it. Be wary of the smaller ones unless you are the sort to spend a lot of time in one place. The head set ones look great, but I have heard they feel heavy in a short time and can be annoying.

The following are websites with varying degrees of info. A couple are mfgs, but all three will try and sell you something.

Center for Envoiromental Therapeutics. www.cet.org This site has some good explainations.

www.day-lights.com and www.up-lift.com are both mfgs, both have some info, daylights has a Cda wide list of store so you may be able to find out who carries one near you and see if they have rentals. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Ah...light therapy. I have been in a love/hate relationship with light therapy for almost a decade now. I am very light sensitive and should benefit from my lamp but I have this self-sabotage thing going on where I always "forget" to use it. I need to get therapy for my light therapy issues. :\

Comment

Hey Villastraylight, does your screen name have something to do with your love hate relationship with light therapy?
          Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but you know they are always there.

Comment

My screen name is from Neuromancer, a science fiction novel by William Gibson.

"The Villa Straylight is a body grown in upon itself, a Gothic folly. Each space in Straylight is in some way secret, this endless series of chambers linked by passages, by stairwells vaulted like intestines, where the eye is trapped in narrow curves, carried past ornate screens, empty alcoves. "

This is what the inside of my head feels like during the winter! I suppose I should increase the "stray light" that it gets...

Comment

Wow, my name just means Paul . Actually Villa I think that is a cool reason for your name. Very indepth.

If I was to pick character to describe the inside of my head it would be,... , oh that name is already taken by a moderater.

My favorite sci-fi character has a simple name Martin. In the hugo award winning short story "hell bound train" Martin out foxes the devil. Over the years I've made many a deal with the devil, I hope I can learn to out fox him at payment time. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

I like the meaning behind your name Villa...even though it did freak me out a bit. It reminded me of the B&W scetches M.C.Escher did....endless stairwells intertwined that just end abruptly and drop off......

Comment

Yeah...perhaps not surprisingly, I'm a fan of Escher...a friend just gave me an Escher inspired calendar for 2010.

Comment

You mean Paul does not stand for Politicians Against Unwanted Lewdness?¿?
                    Woody

Comment

Very Good Woody. Your right it could stand for that, only there are no politicians taking that stand( well maybe a few claim they are, but not really) . Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

You guys are all beyond funny, and knowledgeable to boot! I, however - being a fan of Corner Gas - am 40 miles from nowhere and way beyond normal!
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

<---Abbi~normal

Woody

Comment

I think that most of us are so far beyond normal that we've established a new colony and, in the grand tradition of colonies, named it new normal. A few of us might go back to the old country to visit the original normal but most of us will live out our lives here in new normal.

Comment

Hello Everyone. Woody: I still laugh when I think of the first time I heard that line. I thought it was funny then and I think it hilarious now, thx for reminding me. paul m

Villa: I had never thought of it that way, but I think you are correct, in fact I am positive you are correct.

Thinking about it I do visit Original Normal from time to time, but I find it to be very bland and boring compared to New Normal. Plus I have some problems with the inhabitants of Original Normal trying to make New Normal as bland as they are . Take Care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X