A few minutes today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few minutes today

So I started using my SAD light today in preparation for the winter months. Only used it for a few minutes but will gradually ramp it up until the usual 30 minutes every morning. The chilly winds are here today, which is kind of what reminded me. That, plus the fact that it's dark by 7 pm these days. Lovely
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Lovely indeed!

Lousy weather the last few days is already gnawing at my disposition. Just heard in the coffee shop that a few snowflakes were spotted in town earlier today. Came out to find slush on my windows. Ugggh!

Comment

It will all come soon enough! The slush and more

I've been faithfully using my light now for a couple of weeks and am getting into more of a morning routine. I'm going on a short trip over the next few days and will take my light along, as it's small and meant for travel. I'll be sharing a vehicle and accommodations with other people, so am not sure how the mornings will go. Sometimes I've used my light while in the vehicle (with someone else driving of course - wouldn't that be the way to get a ticket) so may do that.

Am I the only one on the forum who uses a SAD light? It would be nice to compare notes.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I should be cranking mine up since I do have one. good reminder uni.
        I ve been told I have Parkinsons so Ive been preoccupied with that.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis Lizzy.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ.

Comment

Hello Lizzy. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis as well
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you so much Uni. It's been heavy on my mind. I've seen the end with the disease and its brutal. So I try to take it as it comes. When Robin Williams died I was sad for his family, but I understand his despair and fear of the future with PD. I am not suicidal btw but just feel that people should not judge.

Comment

Lizzy. I agree, people shouldn't judge who haven't walked in the other person's shoes, particularly regarding suicide. Unfortunately humans will be human and judge anyway.

I confess to not knowing much about Parkinson's. It must take a while to get your head around it.
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Ive seen it in the end where basically you cant move, swallow, eat, etc. Neurological the brains level of dopamine is dropping. Rigid muscles that 'freeze' and tremors. Its been creeping into my life for a few years but became worse recently.

Comment

Comment

Hello Lizzy. As a fellow sufferer, I can understand how it affects your moods. I also add that in addition to rigidity, hard to sallow etc some our automatic functions start to shut down(like swallowing, bowel and urinary problems can crop up).

However I would like to tell you that there is a little more hope than there once was. Not that they have developed a cure, but they know more about what all it affects and how to combat it a little better. It won't necessarily extend your life, but it can improve the quality of it.

I don't know what meds you take, but my neurologist has me on Azilect and Amantadine and they are certainly helping slow down the progression.

My neurologist also suggested taking up physical activities that I am not familiar with or haven't done in a long time and that helps start new neural pathways. Such things as ty chi, ball room dancing, hockey. Things that we have both use the mental part of our brain and the physical part of our body. Walking, weight lifting etc doesn't have the same effect(according to her).

I haven't played hockey in a long time and I've almost had to learn to skate all over again, the parkinsons has changed my muscle coordination so much. However it seems to be working to some degree.

I have found that, at this point anyways, I can adapt some by thinking about what I'm doing. Like eating, I don't swallow automatically anymore so I have to think about it and male sure that I don't try and take too much down at a time,plus have water available, but it seems to be working.

I'm pretty much over the shock part and have settled into a "I'll deal with the next problem when it gets here" in the meantime I'm trying to learn what I can about the illness.

Good Luck with your illness and I hope that you will find ways to combat it. Take Care. paul m
                        "Alone we can do so little;
                        Together we can do so much"
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Purgatory and Paul. I had a close family member with the disease that I cared for in my home so I have a working awareness of that and it is tuff to forget. I am not experiencing any swallowing problems as of yet. I am dealing as best as I can and realize there are some good treatments but it has changed the course of my life and thoughts that I will always have independence that I value greatly. I am not going to be able to continue my work as it is too stressful for me to keep up to. so it goes....

Comment

I agree with your attitude Paul, just keep going and deal as it comes. I am on Siminet and it helps quite a bit.
                            Originally posted by paul m View Post
                            Hello Lizzy. As a fellow sufferer, I can understand how it affects your moods. I also add that in addition to rigidity, hard to sallow etc some our automatic functions start to shut down(like swallowing, bowel and urinary problems can crop up).

However I would like to tell you that there is a little more hope than there once was. Not that they have developed a cure, but they know more about what all it affects and how to combat it a little better. It won't necessarily extend your life, but it can improve the quality of it.

I don't know what meds you take, but my neurologist has me on Azilect and Amantadine and they are certainly helping slow down the progression.

My neurologist also suggested taking up physical activities that I am not familiar with or haven't done in a long time and that helps start new neural pathways. Such things as ty chi, ball room dancing, hockey. Things that we have both use the mental part of our brain and the physical part of our body. Walking, weight lifting etc doesn't have the same effect(according to her).

I haven't played hockey in a long time and I've almost had to learn to skate all over again, the parkinsons has changed my muscle coordination so much. However it seems to be working to some degree.

I have found that, at this point anyways, I can adapt some by thinking about what I'm doing. Like eating, I don't swallow automatically anymore so I have to think about it and male sure that I don't try and take too much down at a time,plus have water available, but it seems to be working.

I'm pretty much over the shock part and have settled into a "I'll deal with the next problem when it gets here" in the meantime I'm trying to learn what I can about the illness.

Good Luck with your illness and I hope that you will find ways to combat it. Take Care. paul m

Comment

Working...
                            X