Grey Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey Days

Does anyone else get more down / on edge when its just grey and rainy out? I can deal with dark and shorter days, but grey rainy ones drive me nuts.

They all get me down. Bring on the sun and the clear skys.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Yeah, dark grey rainy days are just the pits. I'm thinking of having a recording made of me whining about them because if they continue I won't even have the strength to whine. But then I could still hit play .Until my spouse breaks my recorder. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Amber

I agree, grey clouds are pretty depressing. The only good thing about it is that (here in Alberta anyway) the temperature in winter is usually warmer when it is overcast than with a clear blue sky.

I live in one of those 1950's bungalows with a great big picture window. I find it very depressing in the winter to look out and watch the snow fall. The main roads are usually clear but on my street the snow seems to be piled up 3 feet deep. (OK maybe not that deep) It just seems to take so much energy to go out and take care of the necessities like grocery shopping or the pharmacy. And you have to rescue your car from a mountain of snow, scrape frost, and with all that there is no jumping in the car to go to the corner store for ice cream.

OK I'm really getting worked up. Maybe next time it snows I'll get out on the front lawn and make snow angels. Something to bemuse the neighbors.

Comment

I live on the west coast and most of the winter is spent with grey, rainy days!
          It can really bring you down and if I am low all ready it just makes it that much worse. However, right now I am so low I am glad the weather is matching my mood

Comment

Snow Angels? Well I havn't done that for a while, might be fun . We rent an old farmhouse, no picture windows, but windows everywhere leaking cold air! Our drive is 100 yds long and we cannot afford to have it ploughed, so we park the car at the road and break trail all winter. So we don't go out for ice cream much. Until we get a permanet path broke, my wife does whine about having to go to work in the morning. It keeps her young. ( she never minded when it was me.) Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

If I can hear the rain, it will take me longer to get out of bed in the morning, but once I am up, other than being off my regular schedule, the day pretty well goes as any other.
              Woody

Comment

Dark gray rainy days seem to affect even those infuriating people who usually insist on being unnaturally cheery.

Leila, I always thought it would be great to have a picture window, but now I'm not so sure! I definitely think it would be great to have a garage.

Paul, I admire you and your wife for all that walking through the snow. But they do say exercise can be like a magic pill sometimes, although often very hard to swallow.

It has occurred to me that snow must be white for a reason - can you imagine if it was black?

Robbietwin, I can relate to being quite fine with bleak weather matching my bleak mood. In fact, when I feel down on a sunny day it's almost worse, because I feel guilty about not making the most of it.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni, she's not above sending me down to break trail somedays, or start the car etc. Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

my main problem with grey days (like today) is that it makes me more manic (the not fun irritable raging mania), so it makes it hard for me at work. Really, I'm not supposed to work on days like today, but I can't blow off a week just because of the weather...

Comment

Hello Amber25. I know how you feel, but remember you really aren't blowing off the week because of the weather. Unless that storm front is labbeled bipolar.

I always hate those days of rage and irritability. Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

The only thing wrong with dark dreary weather, is that it's dark and dreary.

Irritable, raging mania is good reason for others to get the h*** out of my way.
                        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                        for not being what they believe they should be.
                        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Just want to post about use of the SAD lamps My son and I have been using them regularly and so far so good re depression.

I'm not so worried about myself much since I'm living better through pharmacuticals but my poor kid has had a rough time in Jan Feb Mar the last 2 years. (He's a drug virgin at this point). He's talking about going back to school next fall so I'd really like to see him get through this winter period with minimal affects; I'd feel a lot better about him going back to school. Mid terms don't make allowances for SAD unfortunately.

On the upside, is it starting to look and lot like Christmas?

Comment

Kool
                            A family that lights together stays together
                            Woody

Comment

Hello Liela63. I am sticking my nose in without being asked here(not unusual). In Ontario all post secondary schools have to have an office for students with disabilities.

If someone has a bona fide disability the colleges etc have to make accomadations for them. That doesn't mean they can miss midterms, but they do allow students here to do things like write them a few hrs later in the day.

When my son was having depression and anxiety issues he was allowed to start the early exams latter(early morning exams are often a killer for the depressed), write them in a empty office(fewer distractions) and was allowed more time to take the exam(to compensate for slower thinking patterns while depressed).

As well most schools here offer free shrink care as part of the tution(within limits).

I know some, but not all high schools here also offer some accomadation. Take Care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X