SAD in Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAD in Vancouver

Hello everyone! I know I've been gone for awhile. I'm slugging through an El Nino winter in Vancouver. On the positive side, it's warm. It hasn't been below zero since December and I love not being cold! I also love that the spring flowers are poking out on the lawn. No winter for us this year...just one very long spring. On the negative side, that means a WHOLE LOT of cloudy gray days and rain. When the sun does poke out for a few hours, everyone runs to their windows. I am SO thankful for a huge south-facing window at work.

I'm also thankful that I was prescient enough to book an eleven-day cruise to sunny Acapulco (from San Diego) way back in mid-November. It's one of things that keeps me going. Eleven days of full-on sun therapy coming right up!

My pdoc has me on therapeutic doses of Vitamin D. Anyone else using Vitamin D? Is it helping? I think it might be taking the edge off for me...we'll see.

Hello VillaStrayLight. Good to hear from you. It was pretty bright here today(southern Ontario), mind you it was 30 below last night. I hate going outside at 6.30 am to walk the dog in those temps.

I'll have to ead up on vitamin D. THx for the tip. Pls send heat. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Last vitamin I took was Cod of Liver Oil and Flintstones

Good to hear from you Villa. The weather does not bold well for the Olympics
      Woody

Comment

Any weather forecaster could tell you that this was going to be an El Nino winter, which means warm and wet. Why Vancouver bid for the Olympics for this year is beyond me.

Comment

I take vit D and I find it helps some.....we've been having some nice sun but really could in the two digit -27 or lower. This is from the Maritimes NB. Without it I probably wouldn't have energy and it's not real high right now.
          Hope the D works for you.

Comment

I've been taking fish oil and it seems to be helping but it could be my imagination but either way I'll gladly accept better moods.

Glad to see you again Villastraylight.

Comment

Hello Villa. In regards to why politicians bid on the olympics. Direct quote from paul's political theory # 1. "Politicians will say or do anything to get re-elected". After all it's you and I that have to pay the bill. #1 was free because it was obvious, 2-10 are $.25 each as they are non-existant and I will have to make them up.

How are things going in new normal anyways? Any new immigration? I hope there is a ban on politicians. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

#2, Politicians will justify any expense as being absolutely necessary and contract it out to the friends. (CBC reports Olympic security will cost 900 million.

paul m, once the jet lag wears off, new normal is a nice place to be.

Comment

Oh yes, there is a ban on politicians in New Normal. We decide everything via online forums.

Comment

I realize this is not about Vitamin C, but coincidently, there was an article this week on the BBC News about how fish oil helps with mental illness. Read more here.

Pst ... BBC news did however fail to mention that Cod-of-liver oil pills where also used as a method of torture
                    Woody

Comment

Thx for the article Woody. After procuring my supply for cheap at Costco (don't know if you guys have them down east) I can report that fish oil makes me feel "clearer". Something is happening and it isn't just placebo affect.

Comment

Thx for the article Woody. When I was a kid halibut oil was the cheapest, no capsules. I thought it was torture when Mom spooned that stuff into me . Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Some of the stuff my parents tried to feed us no wonder I do not eat fish today!
                          Woody

Comment

Sunbathing ups men's testosterone

Coincidently came across this article regarding Vitamin D. Read more here.
                            Woody

Comment

Good Article Woody. I will add about low testosterone levels.(part of the article) This can be caused as a result of many things. When these levels are low you can suffer some from depression. Nobody knows why some men suffer from this, but men who take a cocktail of psych drugs(no specific ones) are more prone to have low levels of testosterone.

Sunlight and extra vitamin D help, but only help so much. Any man who suffers from chronic depression(low grade usually), tiredness should ask his doc for a simple blood test. Sometimes the low levels are only detectable by blood test and are not readily apparent by other means.

I'm like a baseball player, I get a depot shoot every three weeks. It's made a difference in how I feel. Take Care paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X