Is SAD light helping in June?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SAD light helping in June?

It's June now, and we've had nothing but rain, clouds, and cool temperatures for what seems like weeks. Disaster areas are being declared, farmers can't get the crops in.

As sad as that is, I'm (sssh) actually fine with this weather. Heat has never been for me, it makes me very grouchy and sticky and prickly and puffy and unhappy. I'm liking the moisture, it settles the dust and helps me breathe better. Plus I enjoy physical activities better when it's cool.

One might think the grayness would be depressing, and lots of people are finding it that way, but here's the thing: this year I've kept up with sitting in front of my SAD light even after winter/spring ended. I wonder if this has made the difference . Very interesting.

Does anybody else dislike hot weather? Any thoughts on the SAD light thing?
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hi Uni,
    I do not like really hot weather, because like you said, it is difficult to do much of anything outdoors if it is toooo hot...Having said that, being from NL, I do not run the risk of getting caught in too many heat waves

After a long, cold winter and spring I do look forward to some nice warm sunny summer days.

I find the grey, cloudy, rainy weather harder than the cold weather, as long as the sun shines, it motivates me to get going,
    even if it is in Jan.

I think you were very smart to keep using your sad lamp, with all the fog we have in NL, we could almost use our sad lamps year round
    Take Care,
    Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
    "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

I use a 'happy' light too and have found in the past that it helped with long periods of gray days. It's an older model that is not very portable, but I should maybe bring it to where it is easier to get to and spend some time with it. We too are just finishing a long gray and wet spell and I just heard on the news that we are due for more. Sigh.

Like you Atlantis, the sun motivates me to do something out side. Even if it's just going outside and pulling a weed or two.

I love the hot sunny weather. The hotter the better and if there is humity - well I'm a happy camper for sure. I have asked my GP to write me a prescription to Hawaii - but she so far hasn't gone for it. I live in the prairies, so humid weather isn't very common.
      Stormy

Comment

I like that ... Happy light

I do not mind it as much when it is hot, but hot and humid no. I've been in SW Ontario now for over 10 or so years and I still struggle with the heat and humidity. Last year was a cool sumer and I was very happy. This year they are predicting a scorcher and I am dreading it. It is already started. I had to run the A/C mid May. WTH (what the Hell for hot weather)

In my readings someplace and do not ask me where LOL I did read of a condition that is the opposite of the Winter SAD and it is the "Sumer SAD" (not sure about the name)

As for portability of SAD lights, we had one gentlemen at our weekly group that has a SAD light that looks like a ball cap. No idea where he got it. I am still waiting for my X-Ray glasses that I send away for when I was 7
        Woody

Comment

Yeah, "happy light" is cute, Stormy .

Woody, for your sake I hope the scorcher summer does not come to pass. I've heard of summer SAD too, which not too many people seem to get. I've been sad in every season of the year so WTH is up with that?

I remember the comic book ads for "X-ray Specs". Also live sea horses. Did you send for them too?
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Naw ... we had a creek at our back yard. I had my selection of critters there
            Woody

Comment

A creek in your backyard sounds nice Woody.
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

A creek??!!!! Can I come over and sit by it?

I have a little fish pond in my yard and it is very soothing to sit by and watch the water and fish. I could do it for hours. I sometimes wish I could be a gold fish - no worries just swim around and look for food.
                Stormy

Comment

Hi everyone

I used to love the hot weather, but as I get older I'm liking spring better. I barely suntan anymore because I can hardly lay down for 15 min. I thought about buying a Happy Light, but Iwasn't sure they worked.

Ambe

Comment

Originally posted by uni View Post
                    I remember the comic book ads for "X-ray Specs". Also live sea horses. Did you send for them too?
                    I wanted the sea horses when i was little...Actually, if i saw them on the back of a comic book now, I would still order them
                    Take Care,
                    Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                    "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Sorry the creek dried up a long time ago not to mention that I have not lived there since the 70's
                      Woody

Comment

Too bad. Come out west and you can have all the rainwater you want, to make a new creek. Egads. We're starting to grow webbed feet.
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

~Woody introduces Uni to the Man From Atlantis

Woody

Comment

OMG! I forgot about that show. Too funny. I'd love to watch an episode again - maybe I'll google it and see if there are episodes somewhere. Too funny
                            Stormy

Comment

For people on various types of drugs you guys have amazing memories. What recesses of the mind did this come from ? Doesn't he morph into some kind of creature? And if so, what a shame .
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                              X