The time has come again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The time has come again

Just a note to anyone here who uses a SAD light. It's definitely time to haul it out, because it takes a while to see the effects and I notice the daylight hours are fading on us, especially the farther north you live.

I've got mine on every morning (except when I forget on the weekend) for 30 to 40 minutes. I started with 10 minutes and have worked my way up. I usually get up to 45 to 50 minutes over the winter. Not every light is the same, nor every person the same, so I've experimented to find what I'm comfortable with.

Anybody have info or opinions on SAD lights? It's an inexact science and I'm always curious to hear more.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hello Uni. Thx for bringing this subject up. I am always willing to offer an opinion, but in this case all of my experience is theoretical.

I take it that the light helps you. I think I have asked you this before, but I cannot remember. Two questions. First do you find that it helps you a lot? Second, do you ever have any problem with it over stimulating you into mania? Thx and Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I wonder are there are special "light bulbs" that are sold to help people who find that less daylight has an effect on them, the bulb probably wouldn't be as strong as a sad lamp, but the advantage would be as long as you were in the room with the light on, it would be helping...I'll see if i can find anything on it, if not I think we should invent it and make lots of money Can someone else manage my share of the money, I'm not so good at that!
      Take Care,
      Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
      "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

I'll take care of it. You won't have to worry one bit.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I'll help take care of the $ too

Actually Atlantis, many years ago my pdoc said that putting full-spectrum florescent bulbs (the long thin kind, not the spiral ones) in a ceiling fixture can help lift one's mood. He suggested I try one in my kitchen but I never did. For one thing, you need the proper type of light fixture. He wasn't an expert on it though, and as I say it was a long time ago, but still it may help. The psych ward I was in had them in a smallish room where you saw the doctor. But you didn't stay in there very long or regularly. Maybe the doctors and nurses were happier though .

I have to wonder if any type of light, simply because it is light, might be a bit of an upper in itself. Purely my own theory. Sunlight of course has all other lights beat. Exercising outside under the sun is the ultimate.

Yes Paul, the light does help me. It likely wouldn't be as effective as an anti-depressant, but maybe for a mild case, who knows? It's hard to know just how much difference it makes because how do you measure such a thing? I just figure that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Another one of my own theories is that simply waking up each day and looking forward to some quiet time by the light is helpful in getting me out of bed. It could be a placebo effect for all I know, but I enjoy being on the computer or reading or having tea or phoning or writing a letter or whatever, and the light gives me the opportunity to do those things. Plus it's guilt free because I must do it just like I take meds, and therefore get to sit and veg. Right on.

Regarding the risk of overstimulation and mania, well that's a good question Paul. I think there may be a small risk for certain people if they overdo it, although my pdoc says not.

One other thing: if you have eye problems you may want to get the go-ahead from and eye doctor. And getting the go-ahead from an informed pdoc would be a good idea too.

The thing about SAD lights is that you have to tweak the time and strength just like medication to get the best results. And we all know how interesting that can be.

As an aside, my sister tried 30 minutes at her brand new light and it made her nauseous. After the fact, she asked me how long to sit at it. Of course she never read the instructions, never started slowly, etc. I told her 10 minutes for a few days and gradually increase. However, she is now spooked and won't use it. I might buy the light from her. I'm thinking my old one may be losing power slowly, it seems to me that can happen but I'm not sure. Anybody know about that?
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Oh goodness, I think this SAD lamp needs a SAD lamp friend

Last edited by Atlantis; November 6, 2010, 07:23 AM.
            Take Care,
            Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...

Comment

Hi Uni - I use a SAD light as well and I do feel that it makes a difference.

Plus it's guilt free because I must do it just like I take meds, and therefore get to sit and veg. Right on.
              LOL - that's awesome. I actually feel like I'm sitting in the sun when I use my light - it can be a really good feeling. I'm a sun worshiper!! I have in the past felt a little 'over stimulated' when using the light. I don't know if you would call it manic at all, but really energized. I think this is when I've bee feeling quite good and using the light. It only happened a few times and is not happening now.

I'm being a real keener and using my light while I walk on my treadmill.

As far as your unit losing power, maybe the bulbs need replacing. Maybe something to check out. I think they can be expensive so I would weigh that against buying a new one. The one I use is really big and about 10 years old, I'm sure it will start craping out soon too. I'd like to get one of the smaller ones.

Atlantis -- lol - where do you find these cartoons?? Funny
              Stormy

Comment

Atlantis, maybe it would help if we change the name to "Happy" lamp .

Stormy, how do you rig your light up for on a treadmill? I have an exercise contraption and wonder if I could do the same. Of course, there would go the "sit and veg while drinking tea" idea...
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

hpld.jpg

It is made to sit on a desk or hang on a wall. I found a picture of it on the internet, it's about 19" x 13". I have my treadmill facing the wall it hangs on. I may be a bit too far away from it, but I still think I get some benefit.

Oh and I'm totally behind the 'sit and veg while drinking tea' idea!!!
                  Stormy

Comment

I have a SAD light and I must get that on again. It was my mothers as an attempt to brighten her life with Parkinsons before she passed away. I need a good spot for it.

Comment

Lizzy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom
                      Take Care,
                      Karen

Comment

Thank you Karen. Parkinsons is pretty scary. It has been hard to distinguish natural grieving from depression. I felt pretty strange for a while, but can see I have no choice but to let go and live my life well, as she would have choose for me. There is some fracture in the family over guilt etc that I hope we can see beyond. My sister with bi polar has been the best for understanding the feelings but was not able to be very supportive with my aging mother. My oldest sister was almost completely intolerant and didn't understand my mothers limitations (or her own). She expected her to be the same as she always was, but the dementia crept in and she didn't realize that it was , just that, dementia.
                        I think it has left me feeling too old for my age....

Comment

If you don't mind me asking how old was your Mom when she passed away? It must be such a horrible way to lose a loved one
                          Take Care,
                          Karen

Comment

She was 88. In the end with the disease swallowing becomes very hard and choking is frequent. She became very thin . She had a pretty decent life health wise, until those later few years. It was horrible to watch and not be able to do much. And it would seem we are kinder to our pets. I find that hard to accept.
                            Thanks Karen.

Comment

Hi Lizzy,
                              So sorry about your mom. I understand the helplessness feeling. I watched my father die of cancer 6 years ago. Very difficult although mom and I with the help of my other 3 siblings, had him at home until the very end.

I also understand your statement
                              Code:
                              And it would seem we are kinder to our pets. I find that hard to accept.
                              I struggled alot with that as well. We don't let our pets suffer like that.

I hope the split in the family can be healed.
                              Stormy

Comment

Working...
                              X