becoming convinced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

becoming convinced

Although I've made a tongue-in-cheek post about hibernating (on another thread) I have to say that I've come to believe more and more that sitting in front of a SAD light has a positive effect on my mood.

I think it helps me get through the winter, and possibly even the summer. And I am the world's second biggest skeptic

Of course, it hasn't hurt that I've finally retired from my robotic-type job
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hello Uni. I am glad that your S.A.D. light seems to be working. Thx for sharing. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Uni, can you tell me about the way you set up your light? Mine is big and hard to deal with. It has been recommended to me that a regular lamp with a 75watt halogen bulb is good. The official SAD light I own is about a rectangle about 18" high and 12" wide. It can be mounted on a wall. Just curious how others work with theirs.

Comment

Hello Lizzy. It sounds like the big light you have is probably a good one. I'm using the older type, which looks like a flourescent tube, so I just have it leaning on a filing basket, at a slight angle, high enough that I can see it over my laptop. (If you can picture that from my description - hard to explain, but it works.)

My sister bought a light similar to what you describe, but I think it sits like an easel, or like a picture in a frame on a desk - an angle like that. But I've only seen it in the box. (She went at the light-sitting business too much the first couple of days, and it made her nauseous. Found out later it had to do with migraines. So they aren't for everybody.) But as usual, I'm digressing...

As far as the halogen light goes, I seriously doubt it would have much effect on mood, other than making a dark room lighter. Light of any kind is, in my opinion, almost always a good thing, but the SAD lamps are special in their spectrum and brightness, as well as their placement.

If you still have the booklet that came with the light, it would likely show how to set it up. And once you find a set-up that works, it's nice not to have to move the thing every time, like at the kitchen table or whatever. I hope this answers your question. (In my opinion, it's worth the pain in the you-know-what )
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks Uni for that feedback. Yesterday, I planted myself in the window with the real thing shining on me. Me & the light are stilll working on our relationship.

Comment

Working...
          X