Spring is trying to get here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring is trying to get here

Well, we're well into March now, and a few days have been spring-like, but not many. However, there is more daylight all the time, even if it isn't sunlight, and it still counts!

Although I have, and do, get depressed any old time of year (and I *hate* hot summers) I pay special attention to trying to get enough light during the winter. I also recognize that, according to my psychologist, March and April are her busiest months every year.

The main thing is, with more more moderate temperatures it's a little easier to get myself outside - always a good thing. Not only that, but I find myself looking forward to it . It's not a cure-all, but my body feels better and so does my mind.

Because this disorder tends to rob you of confidence and trust in staying well, I take the attitude of "one day at a time" in most things, which means that a lovely spring day means more to me than it might if I'd never experienced true depression. For that, paradoxically, I am grateful.

I find there is no predicting when depression might strike. It is a sneaky little devil. There are so many factors that affect my moods - which can p*ss me off because I can't always see it coming. But, for today, I am feeling content, even happy, and blessed. We all need days like this. The more the better. I wish lots of them for everybody, and would make that happen if it was in my power. But it's not, so all I can do is use this forum to shout "GOOD HEALTH TO ALL OF US...AND HAPPINESS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!"

So I'm wondering... is anyone else finding it easier to step out the door? Or is spring not a good time for you? Life, and mood disorders, can be so fickle
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

I love spring. it has to be my favourite time of year. we get to ditch the heavy winter garments, yet it's not so hot we're melting on the asphalt. it's also a time where nature is "born" again, and the flowers come out from hiding.
    it is getting a bit easier for me to get out... but I have to be sure not to be out too long.

yay spring!! Cheerleader.gif
    Anne.

Comment

Anne, your little cheerleader is making me laugh Thanks!
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

good... I'm glad!
        I think I got it from AJ a while back...
        Anne.

Comment

Hello Uni. I have mixed emotions about spring. Nearly every spring I end up in a depressive slump and I don't look forward to that. However I also know that I will get through that slump and enjoy the summer. I usually enjoy my summers, sometimes too much so.

I think I used to get into more trouble during the summer than all of the rest of the months combined. But depressed or not, it's easier to go for walks and get exercise on a nice spring day than it is in the middle of a blizzard.

Being able to exercise more will ease my fibromyalgia, which also builds up in the winter and tends to be mildly chronic right about now. Take Care. paul m P.S. Anne, your cheerleader brought a smile to my face too.
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Yup, I got that cheerleader from a friend. I've been overdoing it with the exercise. I don't know about you Paul but too much walking, especially up and down hills can make my fibromyalgia worse. Sometimes getting the right balance of rest and exercise can be a challenge.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ and welcome back. I hope that you had a good trip. If I walk too much on pavement it starts to hurt quickly, right from my ankles to my neck. Cheap, thin soled or worn out shoes, cause major problems. However walking up and down unpaved inclines works great for me. Summer at the beach is perfect as the sand is soft and my neck muscles get a work out looking around.

Skating is another form of exercise that I can do a lot of with out pain. You would think the ice would be harder, but skating is more of a striding motion and I can work up a sweat easy. Actually working up a sweat helps a lot with my fibro. Any sort of high impact aerobics etc though is history. Well actually just walking with my weight is high impact, but that is another story. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

I'm still in Maui for one more night. My lizard friend crawling up the wall says Aloha! Your neck would be sore here
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

The sun makes me happy because it provides good lighting for the film work that I am doing for my performance piece on mental illness.
                  Plus I love to hear the birds.
                  I went for a two hour walk this morning. It was pretty crisp out but the sunshine was nice. I think i'll go for another walk this afternoon... Other than the muscle strains in my right hamstring, my walks are relatively pain free. I am fortunate for that because I have a bit of an exercise problem. I'm glad you've found a way to walk that doesn't hurt too much, Paul. Skating is great fun but I can't really do it without crashing.

enjoy the spring time everyone,

astronaut

Comment

we're expecting 10-15 cm of snow here tomorrow... so much for spring!
                    Anne.

Comment

Oh Anne! Boo. Do you like snow angels?? Well, I prefer snow to rain... how 'bout you?

Comment

at this time of year, I prefer rain because it means the snow is melting!
                        Anne.

Comment

I just want the Maui weather I've been enjoying to be here. Sigh.
                          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

yeah, I noticed that you forgot to bring it back with you...
                            Anne.

Comment

Anyone want a free shovel? I quit!
                              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                              X