Caregiver getting support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caregiver getting support

I was diagnosed with my disorder after the birth of my second child in 2001. Since then my husband has taken this ride with me. It has been quite rocky escpecially since we have been trying to do this while he started a new business and we were raising kids. At the beginning of March this year, he finally broke. He just said he couldn't do it anymore alone. I mean, he wasn't going to leave me but he has no one to talk to. I am so happy to report that this week he went to see a cousellor for caregivers and came home so relieved. There is a whole network of support for caregivers of the mentally ill where we live. I feel so happy for him and for me as we both worry for each other. Now I can focus on myself more since I know he has an outlet.

I just wanted to share. I hope that if there are others out there who also have caregivers who are looking a bit ....hmmm, shall we say, worn that they too can find support.

Tracey

Hi Gtchamp,

That's great news about your husband feeling part of a circle of support. There is no way supporting "us types" can be easy.

It actually makes me feel like there is hope for a special someone when I meet them. ...Should the stars align in whatever confusing pattern it takes to make that happen.

Thanks for giving me hope
    Last edited by Re-O; May 2, 2010, 12:57 PM.
    Wishing you well,
    Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

That's great to hear that your husband has the support he needs Tracey.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Tracey. Thart's great, thx for sharing. Take Care. paul m

Hello Re-O. You've already met me and I'm definitely special. So there is hope that the stars will align again and you will meet that special someone of your dreams. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hello Tracey. That is freaking wonderful! I've often thought we needed more support for our partners, but how much is actually out there? It probably depends on where you live. But regardless, what a concept.

Hello Re-O. The alignment of stars is a mystery to most of us, but it happens all the time. Usually when we're looking the other way.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Tracey,
            I just wrote a reply, not sure where it went but if it shows up somewhere I'm sorry about the duplicate post

I am glad your husband has somewhere to go for support, now you can focus on getting you better and he can focus on getting him better and hopefully all the guilt that you both feel because you can't help each other will fade away.
            Take Care,
            Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
            "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Thats great news
              Woody

Comment

I'm happy too guys and thanks for the support. It took him a long time to accept it. It was offered two years ago but he is ready and glad he did.

Re-O....I am ABSOLUTELY sure there is someone special out there for you and until then (and after for that matter), like Paul said...you always have us.

PS Uni, he is getting very little one-on-one it is mainly a support group where they go through a 15 week program. The goal is to match up people so that they can then support each other once the program is done. However, there is also a drop in group once a week for anyone interested and I think he is. They are so booked that the Spring group is full and the Fall group only has a few spots left so he is lucky to get in.

Comment

Taking care of oneself

Hi there. So, my husband told me about something his counsellor said to him that I thought I would share. It only hit me because another friend of mine went to see Margaret (sorry sp.) Trudeau speak the other night (she is bipolar) and she mentioned the same thing. I thought, well, I might as well tell you guys.

Both of them said that it is important to take care of ourselves so we need to do the following:

1. always take our medication
                  2. get the right amount of sleep
                  3. nutrition
                  4. exercise
                  5. fun

and in that order.

Personally I find this list actually challenging. I don't know about anyone else.
                  Just thought I would share.
                  Tracey

Comment

# 2 and 5 are the hardest ones for me.
                    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                    for not being what they believe they should be.
                    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Me too AJ, seems like the only fun I have in my life is the kind i am not supposed to be having (mania) and don't even get me started on sleep, some nights i have to take enough sleep meds, I'm sure the dose would make a small elephant get a full eight hours!
                      Take Care,
                      Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                      "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

wow, thats a great list.

I have trouble with 2 but sometimes beat it. As for #5... I catch glimpses of it occasionally but not nearly enough.
                        Wishing you well,
                        Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

What a sensible list. Drat. It always comes back to that darn sensible. #2 is one I have trouble with too. #4 is running a close second lately.

I would love to hear Margaret Trudeau speak. I wonder if she does road trips.
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Tracey. That is a good list. I do pretty good over all, but numbers 1,2,3,4 and 5 have always given me trouble. Take Care. paul m
                            "Alone we can do so little;
                            Together we can do so much"
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Paul. Nice of you to add your bit of #5 to the discussion.
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                              X