New member says Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member says Hello

Hi all. I'm Hazel and I've been dealing with anxiety and depression for many years. Meds don't work very well for me (I've been on dozens) but currently just take a low dose of a tricyclic.

I'm dealing with a lot of emotional dysregulation and anger, probably due to peri menopause. I have a therapist and am working through a DBT workbook. Would be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has done DBT (dialectical Behaviour Therapy) or is doing it currently.

Hi Hazel,

We are so happy that you have decided to post on the forum. I want to wish you a warm welcome to the forum. Unfortunately meds do not work well for many people who have been diagnosed with both depression and anxiety co currently. DBT is a wonderful treatment modality that I have used with many individuals. The wonderful thing about this treatment modality is that there are several techniques that can help you get through times of stress. The most important thing to remember about DBT is that it must be practiced quite often so you don’t forget the exercises. CBT may also be a good option for you, not sure if you and your therapist have explored this therapeutic modality.

have a lovely evening,

Comment

A very warm welcome to the forum Hazel!

Perimenopause is certainly an eventful time and it makes sense how some of the symptoms you are experiencing can add stress and worsen your anxiety and depression.

I have not had experience with DBT but am familiar with CBT for anxiety and depression as Mocha231 had suggested.

Or if you are planning to try out the DBT, another add-on could be mindfulness meditation, which introduces breathing and grounding techniques intending to strengthen self-control, awareness, and acceptance. These skills could possibly complement your DBT for emotional regulation and may even aid some other perimenopause-related symptoms such as hot flashes or sleep troubles.

If this is something you haven't done already, perhaps you might like to chat with your therapist about incorporating mindfulness alongside the DBT..

Wishing you well on this journey!
      Last edited by sandy11; April 27, 2024, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I've done CBT a few times already and yes, it's good. I think mindfulness is a significant component of DBT but haven't got to that section yet.

Comment

Hello Hazelcat, and welcome to the forum! I've heard of DBT but never been involved with it. I hope it helps you. I'd be interested in hearing how you make out, or anything about it you may like to share.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by uni View Post
            Hello Hazelcat, and welcome to the forum! I've heard of DBT but never been involved with it. I hope it helps you. I'd be interested in hearing how you make out, or anything about it you may like to share.
            Thanks Uni. Here's a good summary of DBT:

Comment

And I'm already finding it helpful as one of the first sections I completed covered strategies for getting out of emotional dysregulation. The book I'm using is _The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook_ by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood and Jeffrey Brantley.

Comment

Working...
              X