No announcement yet.

Summer Heat and your meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello AJ. Actually it was my son who locked himself out of apt and it was either pay the locksmith or have him move back home. The locksmith was much cheaper! Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I guess a locksmith would be the cheaper alternative.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Considering how much I ate when I was a teen ... Yup cheaper
        Woody

Comment

here's a question... if it's already been covered and I'm an idiot for not finding it, then I'll apologize now!
          I keep hearing that those who take Lithium have to make sure to drink lots and lots of water to avoid dehydration and nasty side effects from the Lithium.
          Is it the same thing with Seroquel? I'm one of those people that can go all day without drinking more than one glass of juice or water...

TTYL,

Anne.
          Anne.

Comment

Hello Anne. There are no stupid questions when it comes to our health. In regards to lithium. I drink a lot of water because lithium makes me extremely thirsty and gives me a dry mouth. Needing to drink a lot of water is a nasty side effect of taking lithium. Drinking lots does not curb any of my side effects. (actually it adds a few, because what goes in must come out)

As far as I know seroquel (which I take occasionally) does not have the same need to drink water as lithium. In any case if you feel thirsty you will know you need more liquids, or eat yogurt, soup, potatoes, raw veggies etc all of which have a lot of moisture in them. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

There is a precaution with Seroquel causing a drop in blood pressure with a change in body position, sitting to standing for example (orthostatic hypotension). The regular release Seroquel is usually started at a lower dose and titrated up, in part to reduce the potential of hypotension. It is less likely to occur with the XR form, and the initial dose can be higher than the regular form.

A person who is dehydrated is predisposed to orthostatic hypotension. There are also many other good reasons to be well hydrated. I am guilty of drinking way too much coffee and not enough of anything else.

Seroquel is not unique in the fact that most, if not all of the antipsychotics have the potential to cause orthostatic hypotension.
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I live with a man who's got permanent "hot flash" effect with his body heat (read "thermo nuclear reactor"!) and our place is pretty cool so I just leave all my meds on the counter and take them at night - the doc's ok with this until I get to see the shrink - good news on that score - I get to go in on Sat the 30th (Yes this one works the weekends, apparently!) which is a week early YAY! Don't the new cars usually have a cooler section for water? Best to get a small insulated bag and put meds in that and put into that little cooler section - MUCH better that way than in a purse in the heat wouldn't you think? At least the insulation would prevent the meds from getting too cold but better than melting, eh? TTFN

Comment

Anne, short answer ... no you do not need to drink extra fluids because you are on Seroquel.

For me Seroquel give me dry mouth.I drink more coffees during the day and water at night, but that is just a me thing. I did read some ware that we should drink I think its 8 glasses during the day or something like that but it has nothing to do with medication and everything with flushing our systems of possible contaminants or toxins.

Linda what a good idea, those little lunch bags come with insulation to keep your lunch cool or hot. I had not thought of that.
                  Woody

Comment

Working...
                  X