Depression meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression meds

Hello Everybody. The world of anti-depressants (A/D) medication is a very confusing one. So with the help of www.crazymeds.us www.drugs.com , wikipedia and a host of others, here are a few facts. Please accept that these are generalities and not scientific data

1) A/Ds tend to work by targeting neurotransmitters in the brain. Sometimes specific ones, sometimes multiple one.

2) Not all A/Ds target the same neurotransmitters. SSRI's (cipralex, celex etc) target serotonin, NDRI's(wellbutrin) target norepinephrine and dopamine and NRI's (strattera)targets primaraly just norepinephrine.

3)A host of other A/D's target other things as well. My point is, if wellbutrin works great for you it may or may not work as well for somebody who takes cipralex that targets different neurotransmitters.

4) There are roughly 40 different A/Ds in 8 differnet classes.

5) roughly 2/3's are in common usage, if your doc sez you've tried them all, He's either not up to date or you have my sympathy.

6) there are also mood stabilizers used to help eliminate mood swings, they are in fact all anti-convuslants except for lithium. There are also meds known as augmenter drugs to increase the effectivness of A/Ds.

7) sometimes antipsychotics are used.

8) Length of time before results are seen. 2-6wks

9) Anyone who does not feel better after 3 mths should talk to their doc.

10) Intial changes of success of any one A/D 40-50% providing your doc thinks a little.

11)Chance of success of second and subsequent A/D, still 40-50%

12) Chance of failure of a previously successfull A/D in first year 20%

13) Second and subsequent yrs, very high.

14)Black box warning. A warning on prescription med boxes mandated by the FDA in the U.S. We have nothing similiar.

15 Read the product information carefully, go to www.drug.com and ck for interactions. Sometimes something as simple as cough syrup can disrupte your medicine or worse yet interact with it.

16) Pay close attention to potential side effects, including rare ones. Some side effects can kill you, being rare doesn't help then.

17) Booze, pot and A/Ds simple do not mix in large quanities. I'm not saying you cannot have a drink or three, but booze alters our mood and depression is classed as a mood disorder. Plus some like wellbutrin are already known for making your liver work harder.

18)Some people who are not bipolar have had hypomanic episodes from A/Ds. Its not a big problem, but something to be watched for.

19) A small percentage of people with bipolar will suffer rapid cycling or manic episodes due to A/Ds

20) Best none med way to fight depression. CBT, Cognetive behavioural therapy when taught by a highly trained professional. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

A lot of information there Paul, Thanks
    Woody

Comment

Good advise here.
      To the world you may be one person...but to one person you are the world.

Comment

Ad/ap

the world of anti-psychotic just as confusing except you have the extra risk of TD (tardive dyskenisia) and man, when you feel that eye trembling, you freak out like hell.
        Doctors want to prescribe you the newest that hasn't really been tested, because you're actually the test....lol

I stick to the old anti-psychotics because they are stronger and more effective. The risk of TD is there.....

thankfully for AD the TD issue is out...... but discontinuing an SSRI can shake your serotinin a lil'

Basically people, whatever you are, whatever you need, KNOW before swallowing.....

Comment

Talking about tardive dyskinesia ... not sure if this is how it starts but I have notice from time to time, my tongue will shake. I can feel it against my teeth. It is quite strange of a feeling.
          Woody

Comment

Woody

How does it shake woody?
            like tremor type?

what you take that could cause it?

Comment

hard to describe ... kind of shaky I guess

I know the Divalproex makes my hand shake ... so maybe it the same thing
              Woody

Comment

Since I started Lamital I find the Ritalin I take gives me the shakes. Guess I should tell my pdoc but I'm reluctant because the Lamactil is still making me tired and the Ritalin gets me off my butt.

Comment

Definitely discuss it with your P.doc Woody.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Woody. TD is commonly caused by long term heavy use of anti-pyschotics. If it is TD they most common cures are to try lowering the med dosage that is causing it or sometimes they use anti-parkinson meds to stop the behaviour.

It could also be unrelated to psych meds. As others have said, ask your doc asap. TD can leave permament problems if ignored. I still roll the fingers on one of my hands involuntarily because of it. I have not used antipyschotics on a daily basis in over 5 yrs. Sometimes the TD is something we can live with, but ck with your doc. Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

I know its a possible side effect. I do take a fair quantity of anti-psychotics but it is not like I have been taking them for all my life. I will mention it next time I see my Pdoc I'm not looking forward to that one ...
                      Woody

Comment

Valporic

Originally posted by Woody View Post
                        hard to describe ... kind of shaky I guess

I know the Divalproex makes my hand shake ... so maybe it the same thing
                        oh those are likely tremors. Can't do anything about them. Keep an eye on them and if they worsen, then do something.
                        but do talkt o your doctor, i don't know really how valporic acid works... and it might be another med.

Comment

Hello Woody. Sometimes we have to live with the side effects. I used to like to shoot guns and loved playing horseshoes. Unfortunately the shakes that lithium gave me prevent me from doing all of that now. However I will take the shakes as opposed to what would happen if I quit taking lithium.

There are many different degrees of TD and as I said some methods of controlling them. Some are permanent, some not. I didn't stop taking Antipyschotics on a regular basis because I have a little TD(it has never gotten worse). In fact I still take seroquel from time to time. I didn't mean to worry you. But, yeah talk to your pdoc. Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

Paul, I'm curious about why lithium would cause shakes. I was on it for awhile many years ago and didn't get them, but probably it just bothers some people and not others. Still, isn't it a type of salt, unlike other meds?
                            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

We (Pdoc) have talked about the TD thing in the past when we where looking at supplementing my Seroquel with some another anti-psychotic. And he did not want to go down that road. I might as well asked him to give me narcotic's kind of reaction.

Right now all meds that I take are well capitalized (more benefits then negatives)

The shaking is more of a ... when I notice it think ... oh yeah i should ask about this sometime... kind of thing.
                              Woody

Comment

Working...
                              X