No announcement yet.

Depression meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From time to time my pdoc will ask me to bend my arm at the elbow, relax my shoulder and he holds my elbow and wiggles my forearm. Not sure what he is looking for.

I have a slight tremor, some days worse than others. I take lithium and zyprexa though my pdoc has plans to remove the zyprexa if the Lamictal continues to perform.

Anybody else had this examination?

Comment

Hello Uni. Good question. First the lithium we take is actually a chemical salt of lithium(which is a metal) usually lithium carbonate. This is different from table salt which usually a combination of sodium and cholride. Confused yet, I am. Lithium isn't like other meds, but its not like table salt either. Nobody is real sure how or why it works on the brain.

You and Leila are correct that not everybody shakes. Much is doses dependant (at max I take 1800 mg a day) and as you have said some people get them worse. Mine are not nearly as bad as they were. Take Care. paul m

Hello Leila63. What you have is a doc who cares. I cannot be positive from long distance of course, but many antipyschotics can cause Parkinson like symptoms. Ridgity in the muscles is one of those symptoms. It is not uncommon (not common either) for a person taking antipyschotics to be perscribed antiparkinsons meds to fight the side effects of the orginal med. Yeah it makes my head hurt too just trying to explain it. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Due to my side effects on my high level of Epival (which, if memory serves correcly, Woody, is kinda like Divalproex). I think they are both related to Valproic Acid but I could be wrong. Anyway, I actually blacked out a couple of times but since we are talking about tremors...yes, I have them too. With the increased amount, it was so bad that at times I could not even feed myself. I had to hold my fork with both hands just to get it to my mouth and sometimes even then all the food fell off. I found that if I was rushing or stressed that my tremors were worse. Thankfully, my pdoc reduced the med. It hasn't been long enough to see how things will be but I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well.
        Tracey

Comment

Epival = Divalproex sodium. Epival breaks down in the gut to the valproate ion.
          In other words Divalproex (Epival) becomes Valproic acid in the body.

The primary reason why Epival (divalproex sodium) is prescribed instead of Valproic acid is that it causes less stomach upset.

250mg of Divalproex sodium = 250mg of Valproic acid. Blood levels (concentration of drug in blood) are measured as
          Valproic acid for both Divalproex sodium and Valproic acid.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Tracey. Your experience reminds me of when I was first diagnosed and given lithium to take. We had gone out for supper with the mother in law and soup was the first course. I couldn't keep any on the spoon. I just shook it off. It was very embarassing as I hadn't told her yet and I could not think of any good reason why I couldn't eat soup! I didn't do to well with the peas either. Your right the harder you try the worse it is.

In regards to my lithum shakes. They are now so fine that they most people would not notice them. However with some tasks (threading a needle) even the smallests of tremors are irritating. Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

Wow, this is all so enlightening. I had no idea about some of the side effects a lot of people deal with. Good to have the info. I figure the more you know, the better decisions you can make. Although I've heard it said that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. And that's about what I know, a little. But this forum is better than an encyclopedia!
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I have had black out or episodes as I call them now. People seem to associate hitting the floor unconscious with black outs. But it was way before I ever took Divalproex. They where directly related to stressors in my present and past life.

Since I have started on the Divalproex, when I am stressed I will shake more. I also develop a stutter. I have never had a stutter, even as a child. So this is very strange to me and just makes me even more stressed!

Does anybody remember there parents telling them not to 'crack' your knuckles when you were a kid? Well as of late ... darn can I crack them now ... meds or getting old
                Woody

Comment

Hello Uni. Your making haul out the soap box again . Your right that forums have a lot of info. So do various really good websites. With the address of about 5 websites you could find out a ton of info. 5 websites would fit on the back of a business card. Why don't docs give us that.

I have had multiple docs. One doc said go to a support group explaining" you will learn a lot, you will get a lot of support, they will help you". Why are not more docs doing this? I'm done, thx. Take Care. paul m

Hello Woody. I remember. She also warned me my face might stay that way and that it would be better if I saved it until after marriage. My Mom was a nice person, but a little naive. BTW. I can still crack my knuckles, it hurts , but I can do it. Question to self, why would I want to do it. Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

My 1st Pdoc did not want me to go to the mood disorder group.
                    I eventually went anyways. Later on I told her that I was going and she goes that its great and that I should keep going ... Like

Paul its kind of like that feeling that you get after you have been driving for a while and you just need to get out of the car and stretch. ~sigh~ getting old I think...
                    Woody

Comment

Hello Woody. About 5 yrs ago I was at a meeting hosted by the county in regard to mental health problems. 5 docs were on the panel of experts. All 5 said that support groups were a bad thing because mental should be left to the professionals. Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Paul ... I think we should all get together, form provincial organizations, self govern, be accountable only to ourselves and call ourself The League of Extra Ordinary Patients ... LEOP
                        That does not work ... we need a better title!
                        Last edited by Woody; December 15, 2009, 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
                        Woody

Comment

Hey Woody, I'll put in this for consideration.

(Great idea too about taking the power back)

How about

Mental Advocacy Developing Acceptable Social Hegemony Evoking Loquacious Legislation

The acronym would be ....... I'll leave that for you to figure out as an exercise for the little gray cells.

Hint: It's 3 words.

Comment

Hello Leila63. I think it is a heck of a good name. I could not of thought of one that good of one in a decade. Take Care. paul m

Hello Woody. I do like the premises, but your right the name needs a little work. Perhaps LEOPARDs ,League of Extra Ordinary Patients Against Repressive Doctors. Our Motto could be " We are here to unfubar the system" Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Nobody can say that people with mood disorders don't have creative minds. This forum is not only better than an encyclopedia, I think it IS an encyclopedia.

Go Mad-as-Hell Leopards!!
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

~thinks~ what have i started!
                                Woody

Comment

Working...
                                X