Recall of Slow Release Lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recall of Slow Release Lithium

Hello Everybody. For anybody who takes Apo-Lithium Carbonate SR (SR= slow release) the Govt of Cda has issued a notice of recall due to problems with this medicine. The full details can be found at Health Cda's webwsite. www.hc-sc.gc.ca

There is a direct link, but it is over 80 characters long. I'm not that accurate of typist, however if anybody is good at cut and paste pls feel free to put the direct link here. (who but the gov't would have an 80 character link)

It is a quality related problem so see call your druggist as soon as possible.

Apotex( large generic drug mfg) seems to be having a rash of recalls lately so I have not been able to find out if this med will be re-released.

I think I will join AJ in buying lottery tickets. My luck has got to change soon, and nobody say it did change " from bad to worse " either. Take Care. paul m
    Last edited by Woody; October 31, 2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: Added Link 'here'
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

'Apotex( large generic drug mfg) seems to be having a rash of recalls lately so I have not been able to find out if this med will be re-released.'

I will check with Apotex to see if I can get a date when Apo Lithium SR will be available again, and post back. It is distributed thru wholesalers, so there is also a time lag between production and availability.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thx AJ. As far as my druggist knows (guardian drug mart) there is no new release date, but if you hear of one I would appreciate it as sometimes I find that big pharmacies do not spend much time on recalls, they read the memo and thats it. Thx for your help. paul m
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hello AJ. I really hate to say anything because you did print the URL , but that was the one from Sept 17th . It does mention Apotexs three other recalls but not the one on lithium issued in Oct.

Why don't I feel good about pointing that out . The only reason I did is to keep people from wondering if meloxicom(arthritis) was some sort of new miracle bipolar med . Thx and Take Care. paul m
        Helen Keller

Comment

Yes I know Paul. I posted the link to give examples of issues Apotex is having with good manufacturing practice in general. I may not be able to get more info on the problem or expected date of release either, but it's worth a call using the health professional access.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Site should not be so confusing ... is this the link you were talking about?

Health Canada advisories, warnings, recalls, fact sheets and guidance documents related to marketed health products, for the public and health professionals
            Woody

Comment

Nope. I was just trying to give an example of other issues Apotex is having besides the recall of the Lithium SR. Sorry to make it so complicated. I'm going back to my cave now.
              Last edited by AJ; November 3, 2009, 12:26 AM.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Woody and AJ. This thread has brought forward two things. I really like you guys and I really hate health Cda's website . I really do not think they could have made a more difficult site if they tried. Thx again and Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Hey, I take lithium, 900 mg at bedtime. I was just wondering what the advantage of a slow release tablet is and what time of the day you would take it.

Comment

Leila, two things come to mind. One is compliance; for some people it is hard for them to remember taking meds during the day. Other would be like yourself, if your system had trouble absorbing all 900 mg in one dose. I'm sure there are other reason, but those are the only two that come to mind right now.

Woody

Comment

Hello Leila63. Lithium tends to hit my systems hard(I take 1800 mg a day), everything from the shakes to diarrhea. I take extended release (SR) lithium and I find it slows my side effects considerably.

As well, in the long run, it controls my illness a bit better as it is continually in my system. Similiar results can sometimes be obtained by taking regular lithium in 3 or 4 does per day, but not quite as good.

Complaince ,as Woody mentioned, is helped as there is always some lithium in your system and the timing of a dosage is not as important.

I take mine morning and night, 900 mg at a time Take Care. paul m.
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Apotex Lithium SR 300mg now discontinued

To add to Woody's info, there are a few people who get stomach upset from regular release Lithium, that tolerate the SR better.

Now for the bad news. I called Apotex today. I asked when they expect to have Lithium SR available again. Apotex has now decided to discontinue making the SR. I cannot find any other listing of the SR by any other drug company... at least not so far. There may be wholesalers and pharmacies that still have stock (that wasn't part of the recall), other than that ,when it's gone, it's gone.

Looks like those on SR (most are on regular release Lithium) will have to be switched to the regular release Lithium. Lots of extra blood work will need to be done. Lithium blood levels will need to be checked frequently with a switch like this.
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. Thx for cking , that was my read on the situation too. I am really going to hate going back to regular lithium. Stomach upset is a major problem for a lot of people, myself included. Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

Did we not have this conversation before? Maybe under a different brand name?
                            Woody

Comment

Yes. Duralith (Lithium SR) brand name got discontinued awhile ago.
                              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                              X