No announcement yet.

Recall of Slow Release Lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Memory. I believe it was under the old forum format that duralith was discussed.It was discontinued around April 2008. Slow release lithium is still mfg and sold around the world under a different name and slightly different formula and has not been approved for sale in Cda.

The problem in Cda is most Docs do not perscribe it, instead perscribing regular lithium carbonate, why I do not know. As a result, Cda being a very small country, the sales of slow release lithium are very small and the corresponding profits small. Duralith was sold until the patent ran out and Apotex started making the SR version.

However, someone may decide there is a buck to be made and perhaps it will come back to Cda. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

alright ... glad I have not completely lost it
      Woody

Comment

Welcome to the forums Twofires. You may be able to get it from elsewhere. If so, be very careful. There are a lot of unknowns when you order drugs from elsewhere. Authenticity, good manufacturing practices, two of many considerations.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Twofires and welcome. Lithium extended release is still available in the U.S. and in other countries. In the U.S. it is called Eskalith-cr (GlaxoSmithKline) or the generic is Lithobid I believe. I am not sure but their may also be a product called lithotabs.

If you were interested in getting some I would start out by talking with GSK and seeing if they know of any cross border pharmicies, if not go to your druggist and see if he knows any way. I know the Americans buy a ton here in Cda every year. I am just not sure how they do it.

In regards to pharmicies here, Cdns pharmicies have some sort of agreement with the US ones where if I lose my meds while in the states, they can approve sales to me down there and vice versa.

I agree with AJ. Be very carefull. Take Care. paul m
          Helen Keller

Comment

I guess I have two questions...

Have you asked your pharmacy if they could import it for you?
            How close are you to the Alaska boarder?

This is the second time the SR version of the drug has been withdrawn ... it does not bode well
            Woody

Comment

In regards to Duralith etc, the reason why Duralith was withdrawn was because the patent ran out and apotex was going to make a generic version, the reason apotex withdrew it is because they are having mfg problems with a variety of meds right now in their plant and the demand is low.

It is made all over the world without a problem. Unfortunately we (Cda) is a small country where a few large corporations control huge sectors. This has resulted in one company making extended release lithium.

Compounding the problem is the fact that most cdn doctors are like old spinsters, they do not like change. In the US when someone has bipolar they are prescribed extended release lithium because it is way easier to take and has fewer drawbacks than regular lithium. Here in Cda the avg doc stills prescibes Lithium Carbonate, especially amongst G.P.s who mostly all do.

As a result, Cda has a very small market for extended release lithium. I know this doesn't help make it available, but it was a safe product. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Anybody got a hold of some Lithium SR???
                Cos the regular is

Comment

I doubt that you will find it anywhere.
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

whatever the name of the lithium... if I were to tell the pdoc I would be willing to try it, do I REALLY have to drink two litres or more of water every day?
                    I may have mentioned it before but I can sometimes go for an entire day maybe just having one glass of juice.
                    does it have to be only water, or can other beverages do?
                    Anne.

Comment

Other beverages count, although caffeinated beverages do make us visit the washroom more often

I never drank that much water (fluid) while I was on Lithium. The main thing is to not get dehydrated. Dehydration causes the body to hold on to the lithium in an attempt to correct the dehydration. This results in higher (potentially toxic) level of lithium in the body.
                      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

AJ is correct Anne. Lithium is not to be feared but respected. I let my thirst guide me, but if you do not drink much then you would have to be carefull.

My wife does not drink much either, but she eats a lot of salads, potatoes, carrots, puddings etc, all of which have water in them.

As AJ has said coffee can be a problem as can beer etc. Anything that acts as a direutic. You also have to watch when you sweat. I find gateraide etc better than water if I am sweating a lot. You also cannot be on a salt free diet as Lithium combines with the chloride to exit the body, low salt is fine. (one reason I like gatoraide is that it replaces the salt and minerals I sweat out).

Lithium always make my mouth dry and I usually have water or juice to sipe on otherwise it feels like I am dying of thirst. I find this fullfills most of my need(except on hot sweaty days).

I would rather not take lithium, but it gives me the best results. Take Care. paul m

Hello Lyxia. Unfortunately unless you know of some way of getting it out of the states, it's a dead issue for right know as far as the pharmacies are concerned. The only thing you can try is dividing your dosage to 3-4 times a day. That does help some. Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

I was not on it for very long, but I had a recycled 1L bottle of 7UP that I kept nearby and when I was thirsty I would just take a swig and carry on. I am not on lithium anymore but I still keep a bottle nearby. I also have one of those Brita water filters in the fridge.
                          Woody

Comment

Special Acces program

have you guys not checked to SAP?
                            Special Access Program?

Health Canada wll get the SR from elsewhere into Canada as long as you fill some forms out.
                            It's for drugs that can not be found in Canada.

Of course it needs to be approved.
                            I don't know much about it, I jut know it's possible.

Information and forms from Health Canada's Special Access Programme (SAP), which provides access to non-marketed drugs for patients with serious or life-threatening conditions when conventional therapies have failed, are unsuitable, or unavailable.
                            Last edited by lyxia; January 8, 2010, 03:58 PM. Reason: SR

Comment

Great lead Lyxia, thanks!
                              Woody

Comment

Hello Lyxia. It's a good idea, but sometimes health cda operates a bit strangely. You apply through your doc and your doc should know how to do the rest. One of the problems with this program is that it saddles the doc with all of the paperwork( or a hospital pharmacy). Your regular pharmacy does not get involved even to handle the meds. Let us know how it goes. Take Care. paul m
                                Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                                X