Side effects of Lamotrigine/Lamictal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side effects of Lamotrigine/Lamictal?

Hi! I have come here to try and get some opinions from others who take Lamotrigine/Lamictal for Bipolar 2 disorder.

So I started on a low dose about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. Early this week, I started noticing a stiff neck, but that didn’t bother me since my whole body was sore from tennis, I just assumed I overdid it.
    Fast forward to today. I have swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck and pain in both ears. The right side of my neck is visibly swollen at times. I also notice at times the area does itch, but I have been itchy all over, particularly on my arms where I have noticed small patches of bumps that come and go and I know rashes and itching are common side effects, so I haven’t worried too much about that.
    I was wondering if anyone has had any similar side effects? I have been trying to pinpoint if this is from the medicine or something else. I went to the doctor today and I have tested negative for all infections that would normally cause swollen lymph nodes. I mentioned that the only “new” environmental factor is the Lamotrigine but the doctor insists that is not the issue.
    If you have experienced something similar, please share your experience. I am trying to convince myself this isn’t something serious

Welcome to the forums akaiDeluna.

I have been on Lamotrigine for many years and have not had any issues, however that is just my experience with the drug.
    You may find this website helpful.

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) may treat, side effects, dosage, drug interactions, warnings, patient labeling, reviews, and related medications including drug comparison and health resources.

Honestly I'd be seeing another doctor. Whatever is the cause of your symptoms needs to be addressed. (note: a rash with Lamotrigine may be very benign, but in rare cases, can be very dangerous and even life threatening.)
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello akaiDeluna, and welcome. I just noticed your post regarding lamotrigine. Although my diagnosis is depression and not bipolar, I take lamotrigine as an add-on to make the lows a little less. I'm wondering how you made out with the itching and rash. My psychiatrist told me to watch out for that and not adjust dosages or quit it abruptly because it's nothing to play around with. I think, as AJ said, I'd be talking to another doctor just to be safe, if it's still an issue.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I've been taking Lamotrigine for years .. My diagnosis is bipolar .. I don't remember having any side effects like stiff neck or swelled areas ..
        However that doesn't mean that this medication has no side effects .. It does .. and it's not the same for all patients who take the medication .. I'm not a psychiatrist but I remember reading about this ..
        We need to hear from another person who takes Lamotrigine and had side effects similar to yours ..

Comment

I hope you've seen another doctor by now. I was on lamotrigine for a couple of years and to be honest, I quite liked it. I had no side effects, but my psychiatrist warned me about possible severe side effects that some people suffer. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X