Cymbalta Withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cymbalta Withdrawal

Hi everyone. I don't have a family doctor so I went to the ER to seek advice. The doctor told me it was perfectly safe to quit cold turkey as I was at the lowest dose of my antidepressants, 30 mg a day. So that's what I did. Almost 7 week later and I'm definitely not better, I have daily bouts of diarrhea, extreme nausea and dizziness. Nothing relieves my symptoms, I've tried taking Gravol, ginger, teas, etc. only Imodium (two pills) will stop the diarrhea for 48 hours. Does anybody here know what I should do to feel better? I was given Prozac 10 mg to compensate the sudden lack of serotonin but after taking 3 doses of Prozac it didn't help my withdrawal symptoms. I tried reinstating Cymbalta a week ago at a very lose dose (5 beads ~ 0.6 mg) but I felt worse afterwards.

Originally posted by acidicgeisha View Post
    Hi everyone. I don't have a family doctor so I went to the ER to seek advice. The doctor told me it was perfectly safe to quit cold turkey as I was at the lowest dose of my antidepressants, 30 mg a day. So that's what I did. Almost 7 week later and I'm definitely not better, I have daily bouts of diarrhea, extreme nausea and dizziness. Nothing relieves my symptoms, I've tried taking Gravol, ginger, teas, etc. only Imodium (two pills) will stop the diarrhea for 48 hours. Does anybody here know what I should do to feel better? I was given Prozac 10 mg to compensate the sudden lack of serotonin but after taking 3 doses of Prozac it didn't help my withdrawal symptoms. I tried reinstating Cymbalta a week ago at a very lose dose (5 beads ~ 0.6 mg) but I felt worse afterwards.
    I suggest you visit the ER to see the doctor.

Comment

Hi acidicgeisha and welcome to the forum. A trip to the ER is definitely not anyone's favourite thing to do, but it sounds like the withdrawal plan needs adjusting.
      Last edited by AJ; March 20, 2023, 12:52 PM.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum acidicgeisha. Just wondering whether you were able to get some help with the med change, and how you're doing.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

The ER sent me back home because 1. my case isn't an emergency and 2. they wouldn't know what to do with me. Saw a doctor at the clinic, he said the exact same thing as the other medical professional who told me to stop cold turkey and that withdrawal lasts 2 weeks tops. I contacted my pharmacist, he had no clue what to tell me other than start taking Fluoxetine 10 mg and feel better soon. After 3 doses, not only do I not have any relief of my withdrawal symptoms but I developed new ones such as stomachaches, acid reflux and more drowsiness.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that you are getting the run around seeking help so far.

Abrupt withdrawal of some antidepressants can result in a withdrawal syndrome. it is most common with the antidepressants that have a short half life, the ones that are not active in the body for very long after a dose is taken. There is debate even among the ‘experts’ whether or not a tapering dose is helpful.

If it is used, it would be much more gradual then going from 30mg to 0.6mg.

The other option is to use Prozac, that does stay active in the body for much longer.

I know you did not seem to tolerate the Prozac well. Sometimes it can take some time for the body to adjust. It really is the best option for withdrawal of Cymbalta withdrawal.

If that’s not an option for you tapering off the Cymbalta more slowly might make the difference for you. I realize this is a challenge since it only comes as a capsule.

There are compounding pharmacies that might be able to give you the Cymbalta in a form that is more easily reduced. It’s worth checking.

I know you’ve made several attempts to get some help with this but you might have to see another doctor and pharmacist that are better able to help you with this.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello acidicgeisha. I'm sorry you're having to go through this without getting much helpful instruction. I've tapered off meds in the past and felt physically sick throughout, and it's no fun. Everyone reacts differently. I'm a fan of "the slower, the better" but that's just me. I think AJ makes a lot of sense in what she suggests in her post. Sometimes it's hard to find a professional that connects with you and understands, so please keep trying, particularly with the pharmacists. I hope you can work this out and it doesn't take long before you start feeling better.
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
              X