feeling lost, don't know what to do anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeling lost, don't know what to do anymore

About 2 years ago, I was very deep in depression, I had started self harming (I also tried to end my life). My sister found out and she pushed me to get help, to go see a therapist, even though she knew I might hate her for it(which I did at first). I was in therapy for 8 months before I got better. I had been doing great, at least until now.

The first time around my depression was caused: because I had been in a car accident that left me paralyzed(I'm a quadriplegic). But now I'm okay with it. I have accepted my disability, it no longer bothers me. I am happy as I am. So I was finally happy again.

But a month ago, my brother tried to take his own life, my sisters and I are worried about him. My parents acted like it was no big deal because my brother is a drug addict. My parents reaction drove a big wedge between us(their children) and them. Ever since then, horrible things from our childhood keeps coming back.

I still live at home with my parents(since I need someone to help care for me because of my disability). I think what has been getting me depressed again is that my parents are bad mouthing us. Like I can hear them talk bad about my siblings and I. To be honest, I don't care what they say about me, but having to hear them badmouth my brother and sisters that hurts(I'm very close with my siblings). When they talk to my aunts and uncles about us, they speak only of the bad, the things we screwed up. Like the last time I heard them talk about one of my sisters, all they said was how she had dropped out of 3 different programs in college. they never once mentioned that she now has a very good career that she loves. It feels like my parents only see our screw ups. they can't see how far we've come. Like my brother the drug addict was never able to hold on to a job for more than a week or 2. He now had the same job for over nine months, that's a big accomplishment for him. yet all my parents see is his struggle with drugs he's had in the past...

I feel like living at home with them is slowly killing me. I want to move out, but I don't have the money that. Plus my parents fixed up the house, they made it more wheelchair accessible for me. Because of that, I fear that if I tell them I want to move out they will guilt trip me into staying. My mom also happens to be my caretaker along with my sister. My mom once told me if I move out she will no longer be my caretaker. It can take months, even years to find myself a new caretaker. My sister is helping with me, but that is temporary; it's only until she's done with university and finds a job in her field...

I can feel myself slowly relapsing into depression. I could start seeing my therapist again, but the one I had no longer works here, she moved away. so I would have to start back to the beginning with a new one and I can't do that. it's hard for me to open up to people. also I don't drive, my sister used to drive me but I don't want to bother her with that again. I mean she has school and a family to take care of. my parents would never drive me. They don't even believe that therapy works, or that being a therapist is a real job. when I was in the hospital I was approached by one of their therapists, my parents were there and told them I didn't need any. they were wrong. my sister was the one who pushed me to go see one. if it weren't for her I would of probably ended up dead...

And now I just don't know anymore, I feel so lost and confused. that's why I decided to join here, I feel comfortable knowing its anonymous and not having to talk to someone face to face makes it easier on my anxiety.

I am falling down and I can't even tell anyone how I feel, out of fear...

Welcome to the forum night owl. You certainly have had and continue to have challenges in life. I'm glad that you and your siblings are supportive of each other. I'm sorry to hear that your parents are not.

I don't know what province you live in, but is it possible to check with the paraplegic society there to find out what resources are available to you? They could possibly point you in the right direction. It sounds like it would be beneficial for you to get the support you need with your disability, from somewhere other than your parents. You could thank them for making changes to the house to accommodate you, and still make choices that are better for you.

Starting over with a new therapist can be really hard and frustrating, but it might be worth the effort. Can one of your siblings take you to appointments? Is there a handibus where you live?

I'm glad you joined our group. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi and welcome. I can relate to a lot you've said, obviously not as deep. You are really blessed with siblings that stick with you and embraced that, I didn't have that at all with my sibling. But AJ brings up a good point regarding the various social groups that may assist. Hugs

Comment

Hi Night Owl,

Thank you for sharing your story. You certainly have had to face some incredible challenges. I am glad to hear that you have the support of your siblings and sorry to hear that your parents are unable to give you the support you need. I think it s reasonable to want to move out and I hope that you are able to find a way to do so. There a is possibility that the relationship with your parents might improve with some distance. (Have you ever had a chance to live on your own?) I also hope that you are able to see another therapist. I know it is so hard to open up to anyone, especially a stranger - however, keeping it all to yourself can be toxic.

Please feel free to share more of how you feel here... it can be therapeutic to let out some of your darkest thoughts. When I started on this forum I was pretty low. My thoughts were muddled. I had no confidence to even make an appointment with a therapist. I didn't even seem to trust myself to know that I was depressed. Months of posting and reading here helped me to understand my situation better and to find the courage I needed to make an appointment to see someone. This forum has been pivotal to my survival and growth.

Take care,
        Kaight

Comment

Working...
        X