No announcement yet.

Narrowing it down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello secretme, and welcome to the forum! To shed some extra light (pun not intended) on the topic of SAD, I hope you'll read through some of the other threads, where you'll also find links to some helpful websites.

To answer your questions the best I can:

What got me this far has been mainly my own research. I have been diagnosed with depression, but not specifically with SAD. For me it's sort of a moot point, because I can (and have) become depressed at any/every time of year, and that sort of takes in SAD. I took it upon myself to do some of my own research, because my doctors didn't seem very informed about it. In fact, I believe they are learning from me - how's that for backward? In any case, they're supportive of my use of light therapy because it seems to be good for me.

As for needing a certain type of light, daylight is helpful, room lighting is helpful, but for maximum effect you need a light specifically made for SAD treatment. The difficulty is in wading through all the marketing claims when shopping for one.

Tanning beds do not, repeat not, help with SAD. The light must enter through the eyes in order to work.

I wish I knew of a way to determine whether a person needs light therapy or drugs or both, but it's pretty much trial and error; that's where psychiatrists come in.

Let me stress the fact that using a SAD light requires the same respect as drugs do, and can need fine tuning. Also, some people are prone to mania if they overdo the light, and some people have sensitive eyes, so those things have to be taken into account.

I hope you'll continue to ask as many questions as you like - it's the best way of finding things out!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you all.
      I have been thinking I should create a journal. I have trouble remembering when I started meds etc. I know many people use journals as therapy, but for now I just want to keep track, perhaps weather or light anyway, should be a part of that.
      I already know that long periods with out the sun affects my mood, I could never live on the West Coast!
      Been thinking the past few days about this, and I suppose that if the light must go thru the eyes not just skin, it isn't a Vitamin D thing?

And uni, you gave me a chuckle when you mentioned people becoming manic with too much light...did you ever watch Northern Exposure? You reminded me of an episode where exactly that happened! I loved that show!

thanks again to all for the warm welcome and info. Will check out more posts...

me

Comment

Hi secretme,

Although SAD lights aren't specifically for Vitamin D--you are right in that a vitamin D deficiency can also cause symptoms of depression.

Comment

Very true about vitamin D, Astronaut. It's a good thing to take some, especially in the winter. A SAD light works differently than vitamin D, and the two together are a great combination, I think.

Secretme, I haven't seen Northern Exposure for ages. I can just imagine that episode though - I assume the person went manic in the summertime with the midnight sun and all that?

Keeping a journal for any reason, including tracking meds etc. can be helpful in getting an overview of things that we don't see when we're in the middle of them. You can also go back and check when you forget stuff. I'm all for any sort of tracking or journaling that works for you.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello All. Interesting conversation. We require light through both our eyes and our skin. Lack of light to our eyes can cause S.A.D. and lack of light to our skin can cause a vitamin D defeciency, which in turn can cause depression. We do not need much sunlight on our skin to meet the vitamin D part, but living in Canada, even a day on the ski slopes may not give us much sun as we are all bundled up from scarf to mitttens. Sun light for our eyes is a bigger problem, as in the winter we simply don't get enough intensity of light from the sun.

Also Seasonal affective disorder is thought to be different than depressive disorders, although S.A.D. can lead to full blown depression it may not. S.A.D often causes a general slugishness and often a craving for carbohydrates. Take Care. paul m

Below is an article from wikipedia about vitamin D. Also a link to an article on S.A.D. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

Ultraviolet (UV) B radiation with a wavelength of 290-315 nanometers penetrates uncovered skin and converts cutaneous 7-dehydrocholesterol to previtamin D3, which in turn becomes vitamin D3. Season, geographic latitude, time of day, cloud cover, smog, skin melanin content, and sunscreen are among the factors that affect UV radiation exposure and vitamin D synthesis.[The UV energy above 42 degrees north latitude (a line approximately between the northern border of California and Boston) is insufficient for cutaneous vitamin D synthesis from November through February; in far northern latitudes, this reduced intensity lasts for up to 6 months.
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Off Topic uni, but if I remember correctly re: northern exposure, I think the lamps (the kind you wear like a visor) come into town in the dead of winter and Maggie (poor Maggie) gets addicted to it. The Dr. What was his name....Flieshman? something like that, he has to get her 'off' it.
              The re-runs used to play in the mornings on A&E, when it WAS A&E, not reality TV....

I have some Vit D around here, I forget vits all the time, maybe I should try harder to get them into me. In the meantime...Drapes pulled wide today, sunny day in Friendly Manitoba!

me

Comment

Those visor lamps are available, but not a lot of studies have been done. Maybe the manufacturers took them up north to find human guinea pigs and Maggie ended up being one!
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                X