Experimenting with a new alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimenting with a new alternative

It seems I'm not a morning person by nature. Dark winter days don't help. I'm trying to adapt with the help of my SAD light.

One particularly groggy morning, I realized that the rolling cart I keep my light on can be brought to my bedside! So I'm experimenting.

On mornings that seem extra hard to get going, I get up just long enough to roll the cart over, then loll in bed a little longer while reading in front of the light. It's not ideal, but there had been days that I'd just not used it at all. I'd get up to use the bathroom, crawl back to bed and sleep longer than was good for me. This is yet another option. We'll see how it goes.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Keep us posted on trying a new routine. I’m a morning person but this weather makes a nice warm bed apealing.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

So far, so good. Out of the last 4 days I've used the light 3 times while sitting in bed and once after actually getting up.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

That's good to hear Uni.
        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I've been consistent in using the light every day for a week, although the time varies a bit. Using it in bed/out of bed about half and half.

The last couple of mornings I was feeling kind of low when I got up, so today I extended the length of light exposure. I did 12 minutes instead of 10, and will increase if necessary. That isn't very long, and I've been known to do up to 40 minutes if needed. Usually somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes works for me.

I'm more sensitive to medication than the average bear (a family trait it seems) and am the same with the SAD lamp. I had to back way off when I first tried one, it was much too large and strong even on the lowest setting. I became nauseated. Luckily it was a rent-to-try, so I knew not to buy that one. I'm currently on the third travel-size one. They do the trick for me
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I've upped the light to 20 minutes the last couple of days. I don't know if it's the cloudy mornings or what, but my low mood in the morning wants to persist and has dragged on into the daytime here and there over the last week or two. I'm waking up a bit earlier though, and sleeping better, which is interesting. Am using the light while in bed a bit less often, and trying to get up for it more often. Not sure it matters that much; maybe hindsight will make that clearer.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I've never used one of those lights. You'll find the right balance of time without icky things like nausea. I hope you're feeling better soon.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you AJ. I have been feeling better the last day or two
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I'm glad to hear that Uni.
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Just an update to say I've only missed one day of getting out of bed to do my light in the last few weeks. On that one morning, when I felt extra low upon awakening, I used the light while lying in bed. I also lengthened the exposure time to 22 minutes a while back, which I think is a good thing. I wouldn't say I feel exactly chipper every day, but I am doing better than I was.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I admire your dedication to using the light.
                      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ. It's not that hard to physically do, but like most habits it takes a while and sometimes many tries to instill.
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                        X