No announcement yet.

the sunny (haha) prairies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Uni. That is really a lonly feeling when you have no one to talk to about a problem. Sometimes emails and posting just don't cut it. However, we do understand and generally we are friendly. So go ahead and vent somemore, maybe it will help. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you Stormy and Paul for the encouraging words, they mean a lot.

And Stormy, I've been where you are more than once, and understand the anxiety. But you're right, no decisions needed for today, just looking after yourself this one day is the best gift you can give yourself.

This morning I don't feel great, but somewhat better. Yesterday passed, and my mood improved after a few hours. Complaining to a couple of also-miserable co-workers helped

Later I worked beside a couple of upbeat ones, and I was ready by then to not bop upbeat people for being so darn happy Plus it was a lighter workload than usual for a Monday, so maybe somebody up there likes me. Also, knowing I have a 12-step meeting after work has gotten me through many a Monday.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. Somewhere earlier in his thread you asked what kind of books I read. I promised to reply and didn't. Here is a reasonable short list.

Sci-fi, humour(love Mark Twain and Stephen Leacock), some biographies, some history (particularily CDN history), general fiction, some books about mental illness, a very few sports books, Some action( James Bond etc), books by Clive Cussler, WEB Griffin, Tom Clancy, Alister Maclean etc Some Crime Mystry writers( Max Haines in particular), I also enjoy reading newspapers and a few magazines.

Unlike you(although I do admire your taste) I do not often read the classics or Shakespheare(although he was a great writer) and I like only a few poets.

I never read movie mags nor true romance novels and I'm not big on political books. One of my biggest complaints about this illness is I will sometimes go long periods where I cannot concentrate enough to read. Take Care. paul m. P.S. What all do you read?
        Helen Keller

Comment

What a fascinating list Paul. First off, I admire anybody who can make sense of sci-fi. Secondly, how could you live anywhere near cottage country and not read Stephen Leacock. I like humorous books too, but rather off-the-wall stuff. Can't think of an example.

Like you I enjoy some biographies and some mysteries (especially British ones), and some general fiction. I'll often go along the library bookshelves willy-nilly, come home with an armful, read a few, then repeat the process. Other times I hit the computer catalogue and get specific, usually with non-fiction. I read lots of mental health books, and anything on my various interests-of-the-moment, which at this moment is "how to change habits". Past subjects: photography, travel, relationships, housecleaning and more.

A favourite author from way back is Louisa May Alcott (Little Women). I read spiritual books a lot. Daily readers are nice because even with an addled brain I can usually manage one short page. Poetry is hit-and-miss, mainly certain poems that strike me. Oh, and I mustn't forget Dr. Seuss, his stuff is priceless. Newspapers if handy (comics, crosswords), and the odd magazine.

I have always loved to read. Anybody else have favourite books?
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I love to read - but like you said Uni - with an addled brain it' difficult to hold a story.

I HAVE to read before I go asleep. I think my reading shows a bit of an addictive personality, as if my stake of books is getting low, I start to panic a bit - like running out of books would be the end of me. I had a therapist once tell me that there are good addictions out there. I've been know to read through fliers if I don't have a book to read.

As for what I like to read - I don't have any specifics, I usually read the general fiction, I like spirituality books, some self-help. I have a really hard time remembering authors though so I can't give any specific ones that I like James Patterson does come to mind though, and I loved the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice.

I really want to buy an ereader. But tell myself that is isn't necessary and would be much more expensive in the long run. Also IMO you just can't replace a book. I usually buy my books second-hand, and am trying to get to the library and satisfy my reading that way.
            Stormy

Comment

Hello Uni. I went to high school in Orillia. Now Orillia was were Mr Leacock had his summer home. It was also the fictional place, Mariposa, in Leacock's books. If there is one thing small towns didn't have back then was a sense of satire, irony or humour when it was applied to them.

As a result neither the local library nor high schools had any books by Leacock well into the 70's. So I never even heard of him until after I left the area.

Of course now that the city has discovered that they can make money out of him, he is reffered to in almost saint like terms. I'm sure that Mr Leacock would have appreciated this delicious bit of irony and made even more fun of the Town.

Comics I read, crossword puzzles I am hopeless at. I seldom read how to improve books. I know I could stand a little improvement(that's an understatement) but most of those books seem to make me feel inadequate, rather than empowered. Take Care. paul m

Hello Stormi. I'm not into vampires stories, but if I was the Vampire Chronicles looks interesting. I buy a lot of my books at the Salvation Army store for 50 cents. They sometimes have really good titles available if you can get there before the second hand book dealers do. Sometimes I buy at Good Will stores as well. Once in a while the library has a sale on old books. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
              X