Family member ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everyone.

I'm doing OK. There's been so much to do with regular things and helping other family members make it down to the hospital and all that I really haven't let myself spend too much time thinking and hand wringing.

Good news that the psych assessment went very well today. She told the pdoc all about the people that have been following her and threatening her family. She says the bad people told her to take all her medication and yet on the other hand she says she planned it because the people wouldn't leave her alone and that it had to stop. It is hard to hear but I think this is a good thing because it seems likely that she will become what we call here in Alta. a formal patient and will have to stay in patient for at least 30 days.

I'm hoping she would agree to depot shots if the medications they choose come in that. I don't understand why there wasn't followup when she stopped seeing her pdoc but I guess that is where personal freedom comes in. It's and good thing and a bad thing depending on how you look at it I guess. paul m I'll ask about if her husband could check on her but unfortunately he has been basically ignoring what has been going on with her.

Thanks for all the good wishes and today we have passed one big hurdle.
    Last edited by leila63; January 21, 2010, 12:45 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Good to hear Leila.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

PS to paul m. Been thinking about your suggestion about having a family member check up on if Tracy keeps her appts (if she signs the release). There's no reason why my Mom couldn't be the one who calls from here in Edmonton. I know that she would be conscientious in calling.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hello Leila63. Your welcome. It is good news that she may be kept as a patient. Hopefully she will get the care she needs. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Good news Leila,
            According to my CSW if I miss an appointment with my Pdoc and do not call, he is not an happy camper and lets it be none! Luckily I have not missed an appointment with him.

Depot shot?
            Woody

Comment

Hi Woody. I might have the name wrong but it is a long acting shot once a month, long acting, which is used when a person is not compliant with their meds.

She was moved to the psych ward today. She is more alert today and all the tubes are out.

Good thing ia that she's been on a number of meds already so they know what doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas how we should talk to her. Should we confront the delusions and tell her that the meds will make the bad people go away? Or is that not a good idea until the anti psychotics have been doing their thing in a couple of days? Maybe it isn't possible to talk someone out of a delusion till the meds work.

To tired to look at other thread tonight but hoping that you are all doing well.

Comment

Hello Woody. A few antipyschotics can be administered by injection. They usually last from 2-4 wks. They are common in some states where people are court ordered to take them for a variety of reasons. In some states if you do not show up for your next shot they may come and get you.

They are used in Cda, but are not as common as in the USA.

A variety of other meds can also be administered that way. (it was all new to me a yr ago too) Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Hello Leila63. Sorry I didn't see your post about depot injections until I had already posted mine.

Your right, there is no sense talking to her about her delusions until her meds have worked. I can tell you experience, both my own and dealing with my son, that all we would do if we got tired of listening to you is tell you what you wanted to hear. Both Tommy and I could be the most skilled liars when we were really manic.

However that does not mean that when you are tallking to her you have to agree with her if she brings up the subject. When Tommy was really ill I would often tell him it was best if we agreed to disagree on his problems. In his case his fixation on what he perceived as a bad neighbor or sometimes I would just say that the doctors were going to help him with this problem and I couldn't discuss it. Then I would just talk normal.

If she is really fixated on the subject and you cannot get her off it, just go lightly along with it without encouraging her. Chances are she is not going to remember much of this time frame anyways no matter what you say.

I am glad to hear that your sister is recovering, but you make sure you take care of yourself too. It has been a really tough and stressfull time for you too. Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

I was not sure, so I though that I would ask ... thanks

Leila, I would check with the staff...

I had a roommate that was only compliant a couple of days before he had his appointment with his Pdoc and when he was not medicated, it was just a loosing battle. I would change the subject to something else. Sometimes that helped other days I just finished my smoke quicker than normal and when along my way.
                    Woody

Comment

Hi Leila. I know I haven't been posting in this thread but I wanted you to know I have been reading and you are in my thoughts. Tracey

Comment

We brought Tracy some clothes today and took her downstairs where they have a cafeteria and some shops today for an hour. Her time line of recent events is pretty spotty but she seems to be doing as well as can be expected right now. This clinical associative professor (it's a teaching hospital) came to see her yesterday so I guess they are still trying to figure her out; as I have said before, she doesn't seem bipolar to me.

My son gave me a talking to today about making myself ill over this and he is right. I am going to have to limit my time as the hospital and let other family members pick up the slack; no point both of us being in the ward!

Thanks to all and Tracey I'm glad of your support.

Comment

Yes Leila, please take care of Leila, too - she is a very important person.
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Leila63.Your son is right. You can't help someone when your sick yourself. Smart lad.

I agree that it doesn't sound exactly like bipolar, but given her age she is pretty old to develop shizophrenia(it does happen sometimes). Sounds more like shizoaffective disorder (part bipolar, part shizophrenia). But hopefully no matter what it is, the docs will figure it out. Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

It is good that you are taking a measured approach Leila for your own sake. Where is her husband and parents in all this? I guess they would be your parents too?

Could you maybe take turns in visiting? That way no one gets over whelmed?
                              Woody

Comment

Hi Woody,

Two of my other stepsisters live here in the city and are involved. My stepmother and my dad are elderly, 70 and 79 though I don't imagine they would like being called elderly! They live about an hour out of the city so my stepmom can only come in occasionally. Tracy's husband and daughters are north of here about 5 hrs by car. Her husband works 12-14 hrs in the oilsands plants and is doing some serious drinking when not at work. I hear he is considering divorce so not a lot of help there. They say that we have these genetic predispositions to mental illness and that environmental factors can cause them to become expressed. I can't help but think that that marriage was an environmental factor.

I guess that has been worrying me, her going back up north where there is no support along with her previous lack of insight into her illness. The fact that she is talking openly with the doctors about her delusions and hallucinations is encouraging. It seems like she knows she needs help this time. I have to slow down and just let it unfold the way it's going to and stop worrying about what may happen in the future.

I am only going to the hospital every second day now and today was an off day and I was able to relax. Have to get psyched up for my own pdoc appt on Thurs. I've been so tired lately don't know if it is Lamictal or SAD or both. So tempting to pretend everything's fine and try to con him into taking me off Zyprexa. (Just typing this makes me realize that this is not a good time for a med change.)

Thanks for listening and for the good suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X