No announcement yet.

Family member ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Leilla63. I googled formal patient and Albertas' act is similiar to Ont. They can keep you indefinitely but there is more paperwork and the patient has to be adequately informed of their rights to a review board etc. I have inserted the paragraphs that most concerns you, but you would have to read the entire act to get an overview of everything. http://www.health.alberta.ca/newsroo...-patients.html

Can my status as a formal or informal (voluntary) patient change from time to time?
    Yes. Your status as a formal patient will end when:
    •The certificates expire, unless a physician and a psychiatrist each issue a renewal certificate
    •A physician cancels the certificates;
    •The review panel cancels the certificates; or
    •Court of Queen’s Bench cancels the certificates

How long do admission or renewal certificates last?
    Admission certificates are effective for one month from the date that the second admission certificate is issued. Renewal certificates have the following duration:

•The first set of two renewal certificates are effective for a period of not more than one additional month;
    •The second set of two renewal certificates are effective for a period of not more than one additional month;
    •The third and subsequent sets of two renewal certificates are effective for a period of not more than six additional months
    Renewal certificates must be signed by two separate physicians. One of these physicians must be on the facility’s medical staff and one must be a psychiatrist. I hope this helps. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul for all the info. Most appreciated.

She might be held for a long time if we can find her again. The hospital gave her 1/2 hour passes today to go off the unit today for smokes, walks ect. She left at 720 pm today and hasn't returned, now 1020 pm here Alberta time.

She has $45, summer shoes and her coat. No purse or ID. The police are looking for her. Can only hope they find her or she comes back on her own due to the cold temperatures. I just hope she doesn't have another attempt.

I'll let you know when I know.

Comment

Hello Leila63. I'm sorry to hear that. It must be really tough on you. I hope that they will find her soon. Let us know what develops.
        I wish I had something more usefull or comforting to say as I know that you must be really upset right now. Paul
        Helen Keller

Comment

They found her thank God. Don't know any details. Maybe now they wouldn't be fooled by the facade.

Comment

gosh... I'm so glad they found her!
            Anne.

Comment

Oh my goodness Leila. I have been away for a few days and just caught up on this thread. I am so happy they have found her and I do hope things improve. I will continue to keep you and Tracy in my thoughts.
              Tracey

Comment

Hello Leila63. I'm glad they found her. But that still must have been really frustrating for you and your family. You would think that a medical pro would not be hookwinked by some one who is delusional. Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by leila63 View Post
                  Tracy showed us her medication list and she's taking an SSRI, Seroquel 250mg and 6 mg of Resperidal. Goggle says that's the max dose of Resperidal.
                  If I take my Seroquel at 22h by 23h at the latest ,if they are going to, the effects start to kick in.
                  When I was on Risperidone, the effects where more prolonged but not a month.

Originally posted by leila63 View Post
                  They found her thank God. Don't know any details. Maybe now they wouldn't be fooled by the facade.
                  I hope they (staff) has learned from the mistake.
                  Woody

Comment

My goodness Leila, what a relief it must have been when they found her. Hopefully the staff will keep a more watchful eye on her. Mind you jail breakers can be very determined, I know.
                    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                    for not being what they believe they should be.
                    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for your good wishes everyone. It really helped me to post. It made me feel like I was doing something when really it was a waiting game.

I guess she got down there for a smoke, the voices were telling her to run away. The hospital is adjacent to the university campus, no houses or businesses. So she ran away and then sort of came to her senses and was lost and alone. It was -13, -21 with the windchill factor, so she made a snow cave. Once it was light she was able to find her way back to the hospital. The staff felt really bad. She is limited to the ward, for now anyway, and she was open to the doctors about the delusions.

There is a family appt with the doctor Thursday so we'll have to brainstorm about questions and maybe we'll find out what her dx is so we know what to expect.

Comment

Hello Leila63. That was pretty clever of her to make a snowcave. Of course that's what makes us hard to understand.How we can be clever and yet do dumb things at the same time.

Post all you like, you will notice that I do. I find posting very theraputic. I hope she does well and I hope you do too. Those waiting games can be really hard on a person. Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks paul m. If I keep posting at this rate, I'll be a super advanced member.

Woody, you make a good point that 30 days should be enough. Guess I just hoped that if she is in for longer that she'd accept her illness and see why she needs to take her medication. That may not be realistic and there is probably nothing I can do about.

It occurs to me that this thread might be depressing to family members that are seeking help for their loved ones. A lot of people get help and learn to manage their illness and do well, myself being a case in point. The only thing one can do is to spare no effort to get your loved one help and keep hope alive.

Comment

Hello Leila63. Yes this thread could be depressing for someone looking for treatment., but I would rather hear the truth about an illness than not.

One of the very few things that I am still upset about during my recover is that nobody sat me down and said "paul this is range of things that may happen in the future. Here's how your life could go and here's what might go wrong" .

It still continues today. We have people come to our support group all the time and say, well his doctor never said it might be long term, or he might get worse. How can you not tell a person with bipolar that it will long term.

A person with cancer is given a full range of options, usually told what there chances are and what their life expentancy might be. Not us. We usually get try this and we'll see how it goes.

Your doing a good job of narrating your sister's story. You've told about your worries, extra problems that your sister has(husband) , her hospital experiences and her medical condition. You've made your points without doing the ranting and raving that I might have. I think that anybody reading has a pretty good understanding that your sister is facing special problems that are not common to everybody. Your also demonstrating how important family caring is. Don't change a thing about how you post, your doing great. (not that you needed my advice, but it's free) Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Leila. You know, from reading this thread I just want to say that I think Tracy is very lucky to have someone like you in her life. Someone who cares so much. You are very kind but, do take care of yourself. I was just told that recently too. I also think it is great that she has family visiting her and working together to help solve her problem. I realize it must be very hard on everyone but I think it is great that everyone is there for her.
                              Just thought you should get another pat on the back.

I can't wait to hear what Tracy's diagnosis finally is. I am sure that will help everyone better direct her in her recovery. I'm also glad she made it back safely to the hospital. Thank goodness. That must have been a scary ordeal for everyone involved!

Take care Leila.
                              Tracey

Comment

Oh hey Leila..I had seen the following in one of your posts

"Since being on Lamactil, I haven't been getting my period. (Have heard on CrazyMeds that it can affect your hormones- he said check it out with my GP)"

I just wanted to let you know that I was on Risperidol before. It stopped my menses for 3 years straight, the whole time I was on it. Since I have been off it things have not been the same. They can do weird things, eh?

Just thought I'd let you know.
                                Tracey

Comment

Working...
                                X