Poetry and stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Poetry and stories

Just out of curiosity, does anybody here write poetry or stories as a hobby? Do you find it helps your frame of mind?
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Yes i have written short stories and written much about my struggles and victories along life's journey. It has always helped ground me.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

That's so interesting AJ. I find it easier to write about my own stuff (usually journaling) than to actually make a story, fiction or otherwise. But I do find writing therapeutic.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I have written stories and poetry, I also jounal. I do find that stories and poetry give me the opportunity to address the most traumatic events in my life in a way that makes me feel less exposed while also expressing how vulnerable I was and am. With a story or a poem you can demonstrate how you feel and what you have endured without specifically eluding to your personal self.

Comment

Yes. Weaving a personal story into the fabric of a short story is therapeutic for me.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I never set out to write poetry but it just started coming to my mind and I too find it very therapeutic.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with writing. I like the idea and have the desire, but have trouble disciplining myself to write. My first poem at the age of 13 was about despair. During my teenage years and early adulthood I wrote quite a few poems that mysteriously disappeared mid-flight. I had a theory about what happened to these poems, but could not prove it. I have also written a few short stories and children's stories. Journalling in later years was also beneficial to me if I could discipline my self to do it. Interestingly enough, when dad died, I was able to write a poem about it for the memorial service, albeit quite short, after not writing poetry for years. Then when mom died in 2018 I finally brought myself to write a longer poem.

Comment

I think it's amazing that you were able to write poems when each of your parents passed away. What a lovely form of expression.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you, Uni. It's interesting how the most painful experiences and adverse circumstances can bring out creative self expression through poetry and other forms of writing. With dad, I guess because it was my first personal experience with death, I had trouble thinking of what to write. Strangely enough, my mind drew a blank when trying to come up with a biography for the Prima Vita memorial book. I thought to myself, it's as if I didn't know him. However, the last 5 years of his life I grew to love him (we didn't have a very good father/daughter relationship for a very long time, but I was able to resolve my feelings about it). But there is something missing from the poem; it's more spiritual/existential except for the analogy of the water, given that he was in the navy and grew up in Newfoundland:

The sun in fiery orange sinks behind the ocean blue
                  upon the life of dad departed, an empty shell and death's dark hue.
                  If this were all there was to death, the grief would be incessant,
                  but God's perfect face of light and love shines on dad forever,
                  child of God in heaven, where all things are made new.

Mom's poem, however contained a lifetime of her pain and unhappiness which I was so intricately caught up in:

You have journeyed so far along the road less travelled
                  With Jesus as guide by your side.
                  No stranger to sickness and grief,
                  You remained steadfast in faith,
                  Fueled by self-discipline and sacrificial love.
                  To Jesus, Mary and Joseph
                  You gave your heart and your soul,
                  Through daily prayer and Sunday masses,
                  Embracing the suffering Christ.
                  Through age and disease your strength and your mind diminished,
                  And many days you could not see the second set of footprints
                  On the lonely beach.
                  Yet through the ravages of Alzheimer’s you knew Yaweh was near,
                  Even as you cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
                  God made manifest in those moments
                  You glimpsed that pure radiant light from a heavenly realm
                  Until that midnight hour when He took you in his arms
                  And lifted you far, far above
                  This mortal world of sin and death
                  Into everlasting life.

Comment

Your poems touch my heart, Lady in Blue. Thank you for sharing them.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you, Uni. Your feedback means so much to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X