Prescription drug kiosks get OK in Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescription drug kiosks get OK in Ontario

CBC has an article regarding new legislation that has been passed that will allow companies to setup ATM type machines for people to get there prescription drugs. Read more here
    Woody

Don't even get me started. My soap box goes higher up than Paul's.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

With my med list, I pitty the poor person in line behind me!!!!

Comment

Hello Woody. That is interesting. I can see about a few major problems, but if the company is smart it will work them out. I laughed when the guy from CMA talked about how important it is for the pharmicist to observe you. I changed from Wal-mart pharmicies a few years ago because I could never talk to the pharmacist and they were always screwing up my meds. A machine could not be worse. Take Care. paul m

AJ. I can get by with a lower soap box because, a) I am probably taller, b) I am probably louder c) by making it shorter it is easier to build it sturdier as I also probably weigh many stone more than you . Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

~thinks~ Considering how many different medication and various dosages within just that one medication this ATM would have to be the size ... the size ... darn of a Pharmacy

Woody

Comment

Woody- What about name and generic brands, too? lol. That would either require a HUGE ATM, as you suggested, or several smaller ones. I don't think they'd save any money doing this, with the costs of electricity, the remodelling/restructuring the buildings to fit the ATMs, repairs from vandalism (do they seriously think that no one is going to try to break them? There's narcotics in them, for crying out loud!), and all the costs associated with refilling (pay an employee, pay for gas/mileage, etc). I'm willing to bet that the cost of prescription drugs will go up because of this... Suddenly dispensing fees will have an added $1.50-$2 charge for using another company's card
            Be well

Anis'ia

"It is no measure of good health to live in a sick society" ~ Krishnamurti

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to add... the ONE person responsible for filling the machines gets sick, or doesn't show up for work, so some poor sick person gets a message "Non-Sufficient Meds"? lol. It's too much.
              Be well

Anis'ia

"It is no measure of good health to live in a sick society" ~ Krishnamurti

Comment

Hello. That's what I meant when I said "IF" the companies are smart. I have faith that they will not be.

I was a bank mgr when the first banking machinces came into usage. It took approx 4X as long to implenent them than initially thought. Primarily because the banks were greedy and stupid. Initially it was almost impossible to convince a bank that the machine had miscounted or simply not given any cash at all. Long term customers were being told. Sorry we don't believe your $20 short. The banks eventually changed,but it cost them million in extra labour costs(bank machinces are way cheaper than tellers). I can see that happening all over again. Big companies make incrediable mistakes in their greed.

Scene at Machine. Machine: " here is your medication for your STD". Husband: "what!?" Wife: " you have a STD! you pig" , Husband: " no honest it's supposed to be for ADD. So much for privacy.

Scene at the machine. Customer: "The machine didn't give me my medication". Remote Pharmicist: "Sorry about that sir but there appears to have been a malfunction. Please come back during normal business hrs as listed on the side of the machine"" Business Hrs. Mondays. 1-2pm! Take Care. Paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Maybe it would work for, say, the top 20 prescribed drugs. There a lot of people just prescribed paxil or ritaliin.

Unfortunately like Paul was saying about ATMs being cheaper than tellers, the number of pharmacists for serving the public would likely be reduced and those of us with more complex meds would end up standing in line an hour or more.

Comment

Maybe it will be like on Star Trek and it will be a replicator type device. But then you will have to look out for the Romulans so that they do not mug you after you have just picked up your refill of Vicodin.
                    Woody

Comment

Okay here I go. What if the machines get filled wrong? Will you call a 1-800 # to get it sorted out. Will someone call you if the problem is noticed? What if there's a drug recall, how long will it take someone to check all the lot #s of all the drugs in the machine? That is if the 'bins' have been labelled properly. Where is the quality control? Who will physically go over there and pull drugs that need to be sent back to manufacturer? Who's going to search their database for recalls that involve patients returning meds to the 'machine'. Will all this be done in a timely manner?

What if you stuff a prescription into the machine, and you are allergic to that class of drugs? What if the dose is not appropriate? What if the drug is not appropriate due to other health conditions? What if it's duplicate therapy? What if it interacts with other drugs you're on? What if it's written with a different strength than last time, and it's not an intentional change? Who is going to 'call' the doctor? How much gas do you have in your car, even if the doctor could be reached?

What if English isn't your 1st language? Who will arrange for you to use an intermediary? What if the prescription is written for a drug that has been discontinued or is on back order? Who will call your doctor to discuss an alternative?

Who's going to notice that you're withdrawn and depressed, or confused?. Who's going to ask you if you are doing okay with your meds? Who's going to smell the liquor on your breath before the machine spits out a drug for you?

I could go on, but you get the idea....
                      Okay I need a ladder to get off my soap box!
                      Last edited by AJ; December 6, 2009, 01:52 AM.
                      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Maybe instead of a PIN you'd have to provide a palm print and repeat the phrase "Live long and Prosper". In that case I'd be screwed because I just can't get my fingers to do that Vulcan hand greeting thing.

If they can develop warp drive and build a starship, why can't they find a happy pill for Woody, right Woody?

Comment

Hello AJ. I agree (so much easier to say that than have to type all of the stuff myself, thankyou for your time) Take Care. paul m

Hello Leila63. Well I certainly enjoy Star Trek, I have never even tried to do anything vulcan, romulan etc. Now I do have an almost impossible urge to call a certain poster Princess L..., no I won't do it. Please do not take me seriously or get upset, I'm just kidding. ( for explaintion see my rant about doubting ones self ) Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

AJ ... you make a lot of valid points. I am all for automation specially if you have a relatively simple task that is repetitive. Computers where suppose to make things better. I think this is a bad choice.

LOL Leila ... you got that right ... WHERE is my happy pills

Ok Scottie beam me up!

Woody

Comment

What is that? I can't read the small letters.
                              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                              X