No announcement yet.

Family member ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leila, I'm glad to hear that Tracy is being accompanied when she goes anywhere, given that she ran away before. Hopefully it helps with your peace of mind.

Hmm, interesting take on the family meetings. I'm sure it's true that families have a lot of adjusting to do too. In fact I guess that's almost obvious. Makes me think of what my own family has gone through.

Thanks for continuing to share. I, for one, am gaining insight from it.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Give her a slap behind the head! ... j/k ... well maybe not

I agree interesting comment about them taking notes ...
      Woody

Comment

Hello Leila63. It's interesting that the pdoc has not given Tracey her dx yet. It's been my experience that too many pdocs rush to give a dx and then are reluctant to change their mind or say they were wrong. Sounds like the are taking things slowly and that is good.

The other reason they proably don't want her reading books on schizo is to keep her from faking. Once you know what the symptoms are you can fake not having them. (sometimes) I know I lied about my symptoms to keep from being put in the hospital a few times(I know, stupid of me)Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

interesting take on the faking part ....
          Woody

Comment

Good tip on the faking thing paul m. I know myself when an undiagnosed severely depressed BP II, I could fake being social and engaging very well. My main trick was to ask the other person questions which left them talking a lot and left me to contemplate eternity.

I've been having a rough couple of days. Not mood, which is down but stable, but with OCD stuff which for me is rehearsal conversation. I am writing down when it happens and that seems to help stop it. I am also attempting to read a book! Got a phone call re CBT course so yippee for that.

Comment

Hello Leila63. Sorry to hear about your problems. I have very few problems with OCD so I am fortunate in that regard. I hope you enjoy the course. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Kool on the CBT ... when do you start?

When my I got my Dx from my Pdoc in '04 she just blurted it out and keep on going as if noting extraordinary had been said. I had to stop her and get her to write it down on a piece of paper. She was annoyed and after continued on talking about meds. I had to go home and do the research. At first is was just so overwhelming but then I started to put 2 and 2 together and some of the things that I had been doing for years started to make sense. I wonder what my Pdoc's though where the next time I was in to see her, cause I had a list of things to ask and talk about.
                Woody

Comment

Doing pretty good today. I was actually able to read about 3/4 of a book today! Not bad for someone who hasn't read anything else than a magazine or the crawl on the bottom of the screen on CNN in 10 yrs. I do think it is the decrease in zyprexa though my pdoc would never believe it. Only last summer I was trying to read when I was looking after my Dad when my Stepmom was away and no go on the reading. Whatever the reason, I'm happy and it is totally destroying the OCD.

Woody, the orientation is Feb 22,23, then appt with therapist and then probably 2-4 week waiting list. I'll probably read the encyclopedia from A to Z by then.

About the dx. I'm really not sure about whether a doc should tell or not tell. Maybe it should be told at the right time with a careful explanation (not like how you got it from the pdoc) Mental illness is funny that way. If you have a physical ailment they tell you straight up. Not so with mental illness. I'm not a pdoc so I can't say what the right thing is. (Hope they know ) I know I'm sure not going to tell Tracy (who is already overweight) that anti psychotics are associated with weight gain so I guess that could be construed as withholding information.

Will be seeing her tomorrow night.

Comment

Hello Leila63. I would believe you that a cut in zyprexa would make a big difference. I found most antipsychotics were hard on my concentration(probably all). Once again that is just me. I know people who take very large doses and it helps them conentrate.

While your reading your enclyopedia from a-z please keep track of how many different meds are used on psych patients. I bet it's a lot.

I'm glad your feeling better. Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi. Tracy is in for another 30 days and still is under close supervision. Hoping for the best and taking some time away for myself. Finding it all a bit disheartening.

Comment

Hello Leila63. I can imagine that Tracey's stay in the hospital is getting you down. I can remember feeling so helpless and anxiety ridden during a similiar time. During my son's really long stay I thought at one point we might end up with adjacent beds.

However do not give up hope. My son was in four times before he got reasonable straightened around. Not that long stays are to be looked forward to, but at least there is hope.

However make sure that you look after yourself. Sick or not, your sister and her doc's are the ones most responsible for her getting better.

You've been a good sister. Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks paul m, I really needed that. Your, and everyone's kindness mean a lot to me.

Comment

Hi Leila. Speaking from experience...right now, I know how easy it is to get caught up and then tired from worry and stress. And the frustrating thing is sometimes you don't even know it is happening! Good for you for recognizing that you need some time away. I am glad your sister will have some more time in the hospital. Hopefully, it will give her some more time to get use to her diagnosis and meds. Take care Leila.
                            Tracey

Comment

Hello Leila. You are probably helping your sister in a very important way by looking after yourself. That way you can be there for her. I am rooting for you both!
                              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Leila I'm sending you a big cyber hug and a soothing cup of tea... the one I would make for you if you were here.
                                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                                for not being what they believe they should be.
                                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                                X