No announcement yet.

Lithium facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Tracey. Something is wrong. Continued Nausea, not to mention dizzy and light headed are not side effects that should be lasting a long time. When they do it is time to have your doc and perhaps have a complete physical done to see if something else is adding to the problem. As well, blood test are not the only test that should be done when having problems with lithium.

The creatine clearance test is when you collect your urine for 24 hrs(the nurse gives you a special container) and you also have blood work done at the same time. This gives a much better idea on how your kidneys are working. As well, if we take in 1/2 liter of pee and try and tell the doc "yes sir, I'm drinking 2.5 liters everyday" .

But first I would take would be to talk to my pharmacist about how you take your meds and see what he sez. With lithium carbonate, nausea is quite common if you try and take too much at once and don't eat enough when taking it. Make sure you tell him all of the meds you are taking , even multi vitamins and rolaids etc. All can have an effect.

Caffiene can really upset your stomach if you drink it around the time that you are taking your lithium. Caffiene can also upset your fluid levels and give you all of the symptome you mentioned if you take a lot of it.

Don't give up on the lithium just yet, try some of my suggestions, particulairly talk with your pharmicist and your doc and asap.

AND VENT LOTS,. Sometimes when we feel lousy, venting really helps. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks for all the information Paul. After calling the pharmacist (who said I probably had too much in my system) and telehealth (who said I need to go to emerg), I ended up at the hospital last night. After 7 hours, I left with a diagnosis of benign vertigo. I was given a sheet of paper to read about it but basically there is no cure. After reading the sheet, I determined that I don't think that is what I have. Soooo, I am doing some of the things you said. I am taking my meds 3 times a day (starting last night). Already I am feeling some relief, however, I am pretty sure my thyroid is to blame for some of my tears and tiredness. I have blood work this week that will check it again. I am also taking my meds with food. I wasn't doing that before. Plus my husband noticed that I haven't been drinking as much so I am trying to up that. I can only hope that I feel back to myself soon. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted.
      Tracey

Comment

Li has it's nausea and it's clear days. you gotta eat well and treat it well and then it will do the same.
        Don't abandon it for symptoms. There are not that many mood stabilizors

good luck

Comment

Working...
        X