No announcement yet.

rough day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Anne. Sorry to hear that. As AJ has said you might try the labour relations board. You might also try and find out if you were the only one laid off and talk to the human rights board.

Here in Ontario there is a very low cost way to talk to a lawyer for an initial consult ($6) . You may want to to if there is a similiar thing near where you live. If not, sometimes community legal clinic has info like that.

I know it appears really dark right now, but it will get brighter. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I was one of 117 people laid off... unfortunately many of them were either on sick leave or maternity leave.
      was told that one guy was on sick leave battling cancer when he got his call.

I know it's nothing personal the lay off and that others were affected too, but it does not make it any easier.
      Anne.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Anne.

If they laid off 117 other people there is probably little recourse that you can take.

You might want to check with your insurance company, but even though they laid you off, but it should not affect your disability claim.
        Woody

Comment

unfortunately Woody, the first thing that was written in the letter I received with my package was that my LTD was cut off as of yesterday as well.

no, there is nothing I can do about it. I just want it over with so I can try to move on and find something to feel useful again.

Anne.
          Anne.

Comment

Hello Anne. In regards to LTD. I am sorry if I am sticking my nose in and I am not sure the following applies, but the Mood Disorders of Ontario had a very good article written by a law firm on LTDs. I don't think you live in Ontario but the article may interest you. As well I bet the law firm here could give you refferal to a law firm there. www.mooddisorders.on.ca click on learn more.

I got royally, well you know, once because I believed what a company said. You have nothing to lose by investigating. Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

Anne, I would fight that.

My understanding of STD and LTD is that once the insurance company assumes the liability, so long as you meet the criteria, they cannot just cancel it out from underneath you.

My company a couple of months ago sent out a letter to all employees that they would no longer be providing LTD coverage but when I checked into it, it did not affect me because I was already on LTD.

There might be a case if the company went out of business and the premiums where not being paid they might ask you to pay the premium instead. But from the sound of it, they are still in operations.

Woody

Comment

I don't have it in me to fight... fighting to get out of bed in the morning is as much as I can handle.
                with the package I was offered, I'll be getting more than I was on LTD because I will be getting full pay for those weeks. besides, the papers are already signed.

thanks for the suggestions. I just don't have the energy or the drive. I really don't care right now who's right or who's wrong.
                Anne.

Comment

Hello Anne. I am sorry that all of this happened to you. It is very difficult to lose a part of your future, especially a part that you enjoyed. My few words here in no way make up for that loss and you do have my sympathy on this matter. I understand what a difficult time it is for you. Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

I have noticed that you have not been posting as much as normal.

We all do the best we can with what we have, and some days that includes having to say I just cannot. For me it was asserting my rights as a father. As much as I love my children, I could not see myself starting another court action because she did not comply with the last court order.

This will probably be of little comfort, but what goes around comes around
                    Take care of yourself Anne
                    Woody

Comment

Hi Anne. When I read what has happened with your job I felt so angry. Having been through loads of s**t at my workplace, please believe me when I say my heart goes out to you. (((A.E.V.))) I think that is hugs.
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Good Morning Anne. How are you making out. Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

I'm hanging on... by a thread at times, but hanging on. right now I'm really going through a whirlwind of emotions - started sad, got angry, got so anxious I actually needed the stupid clonazepam yesterday, and now I'm sad again.

I went to see the tdoc on thursday, and she actually had to call me back after the appointment asking me how I was doing... I think I scared her.
                          then the pdoc on friday, I could have choked him silly... I'm sitting in his office bawling, stating that I would happily swallow a bottle of pills in one sitting after telling him I lost my job along with everything else I'm going through, and all he could do for ten minutes was tell me how the economy is rising and that there will be jobs out there if I just look. frankly, I did not understand a bloody thing he was saying. then for maybe half a second he sizes me up and says "I feel you a bit more depressed today"... YOU THINK??????
                          so the last minute or so (my half an hour appointment turned into a fifteen minute lecture) he upped my lamictal, and sent me out the door with a smile and his usual "good luck". I HATE THAT!!!

anyway, enough griping for today... when you asked how I am Paul, I'm sure you weren't expecting this!

thank you very, very much for your words of wisdom and concern... all of you... it really does help to know that you know what I'm going through. I've people tell me that they know how it feels to lose a job, but they don't know how it feels to lose a job when you're emotionally and mentally not well and trying to recover.

thanks again.

Anne.
                          Anne.

Comment

Does not sound like he gets it at all

Next time he wishes you Good Luck ask him Why ?? You hopping that I get hit by a bus or something ??
                            Woody

Comment

Hello Anne. Actually I was expecting quite a bit more.

Seriously you have been through a ton. The loss of your job is enormous to you and I do know what you are going through. I also was in my mid-30s when I suddenly could no longer work at my dream job, the one I had wanted since my teens.

It took me forever to adjust to the fact that my life had permantely changed. I just could not think about the future, whenever I tried I just sank into a deep depression. I did a lot of stupid things during that time due to my rollercoaster emotional state.

I never before had felt that all alone. It was a time of pure misery and you are certainly right about the docs, there nothing like someone making $250gs a year telling you'll be fine.

Your in for a tough time trying to balance everything all at once. I cannot say that it will be easy, but I managed to survive and you can too.You've already proved your a better surviour than I by balancing your illness and being a Mom. That's better than I. When I was really ill, I had my wife to lean on(which had it's plus's and minus's) Try to remember that life can get better. Take Care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

I have a good pdoc who I have been seeing regularly for seven years...but he still doesn't get it. He knows the symptoms and he knows the science and he hears the stories but he doesn't know what it is to feel like someone just backed up a truck and dumped a load of heavy heavy blankets on your head. When I almost had a break-down in his office last year, he was as lost as any of my family or friends would have been. I have learned not to expect him to get it. His role in MY management of my mood disorders is to listen to me vent (no one else in my life gets paid enough for THAT role ) and to help me monitor my medications and other therapies. He is also my insurance policy against doing anything stupid because I know I can roll up to the hospital at any time and he will admit me. For me, that's enough...for now anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X