No announcement yet.

Sleeping Meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those that took Abilify did you have a lot of reactions before it wked or did it get worse before it gets better. I'm just wondering if I keep taking it and it keeps getting worse than that is not good for me either. I know you can't tell me to stop or not but just maybe what your symptoms were.....Thanks
    I'm on Abilify Just Me. We're all different and react differently to drugs, but I can tell you my experience with it. I'm on 25mg a day in the morning (along with other drugs). I didn't notice much improvement until I reached 15mg. I think it will probably end up at 30mg. I was not having any significant side effects. With dose increases I did notice some dizziness about an hour after taking it. A few days after a dose increase, those side effects got better. I take it in the morning and unlike most antipsychotics, it doesn't cause drowsiness, for the majority of people myself included. I am now noticing some Akathisia. My P.doc wants to see how it is holding at this dose until I see her again in a week and a half.
    Last edited by AJ; April 11, 2010, 11:18 PM.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for encouragement and hugs....
      I start Lithium tonight and will take it twice a day and then blood work in two wks. Here's hoping. The pharmasist said the down fall is weight gain 5 to 30 lbs.....great I just lost my 20lbs and here's hoping 5 at the max and that it works. And makes you drosy too. Well will catch up on my sleep.
      Abilify has kept me hyper and awake most of the night so don't need the manic again. I walked almost 10 kl yesterday and usually only walk 1/2 hr.....reason for so long was I got lost....no sense of direction....lol. Just got one blister out of it so not too bad. Will check in again.
      Tracy
      Things sound a bit better and with time it will wk out I'm sure.....again hang in there.

Comment

Well first day with lithium. Just a little hazy and slept better not as many nightmares but could be just a my great thinking.

Comment

So happy that you are getting some relief Just Me. I do hope Lithium works for you. I know it has worked for alot of people. I know for me...the next time I have to change meds, it is something we will be looking into but for now I am doing ok.

Tonight we go back to family therapy. We get to see where the kids are at again. My oldests therapists called (he is male). Because she is now requesting a female (she is becoming a teenager), we have to wait a bit. However, he did say she is showing signs of OCD. The beginnings and gave me an online book to read for free. Should be interesting. I found out one of my cousins' children also has OCD. My cousin has 3 girls, we talked about alot of stuff and nothing I told her surprised her. It was a comfort to talk to someone else in the family who has ...shall we say, highly emotional young ladies. The more I think...the more I realize that my family has alot of hang ups mentally but I'm really the only one who will talk about things openly. Intersting?!?!? Anyway...

Atlantis, Just Me and Woody thanks for your support and words.
          Paul...I don't think you realize but, once again, you hit on something that I have been struggling with. Not just with my family but also outside. I appreciate your insight into the guilt issue.

Good luck Just Me!
          Tracey

Comment

Not so long ago family members who where special our as they use to say, touched by an angel (never figured that one out myself), they where segregated to either an institution for those who could afford it or to a basement or attic. My half brother for example, when he was little he was Dx with a severe case of ADHD. Now when it came time for school, he was put with the mental retarded children. My brother was not mentally retarded. That was in 1970. In the big picture of things that is not that long ago.

Just me, Tracey ... Will keep our figures crossed
            Woody

Comment

Hello Tracey. I have a lot of insight about guilt because it's a major factor in how I feel somedays. If I don't beat my own guilty feelings, the reality of my past actions are really hard to deal with, and I become frozen. When I get like that my mind seems to involuntarily removes me from reality and I become either depression or manic. Guilt can be an especially powerful mood altering emotion.

But thx for the comment. I appreciate your thoughts. I hope things work out with getting your daughter a therapist. In regards to OCD. It's like a lot of mental illnesses. It varies greatly from person to person and the earlier it is caught the easier it may be to treat. Take Care. paul m

Hello Just Me. I hope you are doing well. Take Care. paul m

Hello Woody. I live nea Orillia and the fallout and lawsuits are still continuing over the number of people who were wrongly put into the local hospital for the mentally retarded in the 50's, 60's and 70's. It's amazing the number of wrong Dx's there were, or in some cases just plian dumping of hard to handle children. My sympathies to your brother and the family, it must of been horrible. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

Just me again and things are just just right now. My nightmares are lighter in nature but still not letting me get a good night sleep. Can get errans done and able to eat without calling anyone so there is progress. Still have feelings of my life is good but can't wait till better but doing it one day at a time. Not overly energetic. Sorry no comments today for anyone but hope all is going better for everyone.

Comment

Just me again and wanted to let you know I haven't disappeared. The meds are starting to wk, still not really wanting to go out where there is a lot of people but then wasn't good at that before. Did go out with a friend to see a show and it was ok it was in a hall type setting so lots of room around and could leave if needed too. Been walking to and drinking lots of water as with lithium you have to but sure doesn't like me as get a sick feeling in my stomach.
                  There must be other sights where people are talking as not getting any messages or hearing about anyone. Just wondering how I go there or are they private?

Comment

Good to hear from you Just Me and that the lithium is starting to work. Maybe try eating a toast or a muffin ... just a little something that is not hard to digest. I have found that it helps sometimes with meds that cause nausea or upset stomach.

You are not getting messages from this site?
                    Woody

Comment

Hi Just Me,
                      I'm glad to hear you are feeling a little better and that the lithium seems to be working good for you. I am still taking lithium and i find it is working for me too.

Since i started the lithium my skin is very, very dry and i have a gross taste in my mouth but i hope these side effects will go away soon.

Are you having any side effects?
                      Take Care,
                      Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                      "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Hello Just Me. I try and take my lithium 3 times a day and always with at least some toast and preferably at meals. It can be tough so good luck with it.

I am unsure what you mean by,

"There must be other sights where people are talking as not getting any messages or hearing about anyone. Just wondering how I go there or are they private?"

If it has to do with this forum I can try and explain ( I'm sure Woody will do a better job) or if it has to do with other forums I can make a suggestion about that too. Take Care. paul m
                        "Alone we can do so little;
                        Together we can do so much"
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Karen the side affects I'm having is like a knott in my stomach most of the time and constipation and nausia even though I take my meds with food. I still have a gagging reflex when I think it is time to eat and don't have the an appetite. I make myself eat but then feel the knott stronger but as the anxiety and nightmares they are pretty well gone now. I don't have an aweful taste yet but has only been a wk today.
                          Here's hoping our side affects will disapear soon.

Comment

Paul I believe it must be other forums as looked and there are different subjects and I answered to one but wasn't sure if you can join in any forum or other subjects. Hope that is clearer. Thanks

Comment

Just Me, as it is for this site [ www.mooddisorderscanada.ca ] once you become a member, there are no restrictions as to which sub forum or thread to which you can post to. On occasion we might close a thread for what ever reason but you will see a padlock in the front of the thread. These can be viewed but not posted to.

I am unable to speak for other sites as there policies vary from site to site but there Admin should be able to help you.

If you have further question feal free to ask or to send me a PM (Private Message)
                              Woody

Comment

Hi Just Me,

It's good to hear from you. Woody or AJ (being the forum moderators) know WAY more than wee little me but i'll say this anyways and hope i get this right...

You can post on any of the threads in this forum, none that i know of, are private...
                                Woody mentioned the "locked" thread but i think that means the thread is closed, (it's not a "special access only" thread for the kids, thank goodness, i am such a nerd I'd never make it in )

Anyways, I just read through the different threads and share my 2 cents worth when I can...

So, feel free to post and share your feelings on any thread you feel like, we always like to see replies

TTYS
                                Last edited by Atlantis; April 19, 2010, 07:56 PM.
                                Take Care,
                                Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                                "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Working...
                                X