Abilify Maintena

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abilify Maintena

Started a new medication on May 23. 15 days later I weighed myself and notice I was up 14 lbs. I gained 1 lb. a day since being on this medication. Is this normal? What do people do to combat antipsychotic medication-related weight gain when nothing else has changed ie. diet or exercise? It's really demotivating to gain so much weight and find my body changing shape due to medication. I'm currently signed up for personal training and tracking my calories on an app called MyFitnessPal.

Hello FriedEgg. That is a lot of weight gain. It's not uncommon to have a weight when taking antipychotics. Signing up for personal training and counting your calories should help. I agree that the weight gain must be unmotivating . You might want to ask your pharmacist if they have any hints. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Although all of the atypical antipsychotics can cause weight gain, believe it or not, Abilify is supposed to be less likely to do so, and to a lesser degree than others. I gained weight on it, although it wasn't much compared to others I've been on. With a pound a day weight gain, I'd consider discussing it with your doctor and your pharmacist. There could also be something else going on to contribute to that weight gain.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Whoa that sounds frustrating! I was put on topiramate when I went on a high dosage of Seroquel, as it helps to curb appetite, but if this is not the case? Are you eating more of something possibly? I was told antipsychotics can trick your brain into thinking you are not getting enough carbs. I hope you find the answer you are looking for!

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions you guys. I spoke to my Pharmacist who mentioned that people typically don't gain weight or lose weight on Abilify. My Psyc Doc says it's too early to gain weight from Abilify if it's even possible so he says it must be from my previous medication of Invega Sustenna.

Comment

My DW was diagnosed with BPII ... she has severe health anxiety and believe that this is a HUGE source of her issues. She thinks that its the HA that is causing all of what he is going through .. not BPII. She refuses to take any medication that she is recommended. She fears ALL side effects on any pill no matter how small.. Currently her platelet count has been gradually increasing over the last year.. Since a lot of the anti-psychotic drugs can cause that she won't take them. Plus weight gain and the worry about being a Zombie.. She has had scopes and MRI's and all comes back good... She is convinced she is dying and has cancer somewhere that they just haven't found yet. She said today " I am going to show everyone that you can function being BP2 with no meds" i said to her . this isn't about showing anyone.... I did tell her in the past that if she doesn't take care of her self I don't know if I can stay.. And I may have to have this conversation again. She will accuse me of stepping out on her when she needs me the most.. and take it as a rejection ( she has BPD as well ) but if she doesn't treat this properly I am afraid of what may happen.

any advice on how to discuss meds and the concerns of them for a loved one...???????

Comment

Hello wantstounderstand. Unfortunately some of us refuse to accept a diagnosis and other of us refuse to accept the meds we are prescribed. When someone has bipolar they will usually have cycles up and down. Sometimes they will have periods where they are level. It's during this period of being level is when you can perhaps talk with them. Speaking from experience we often don't want to talk during these periods of normalcy fearing that if we try and talk about it with a loved one who is presenting no symptoms that we are afraid that they will all of sudden experience an episode.

In regards to myself(I had very few normal periods). I would sometimes talk sense when I was depressed. When I was manic it was a waste of time to try and talk sense to me. In regards to BPD about all that I know(or at least how I feel) is that shrinks are far to quick to say that someone has BPD. It's is very hard to correctly diagnosis whether or not one has BPD and BP or whether they just have bipolar. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Wantstounderstand,
                I imagine it is quite frustrating to be on the other side of this. I know agencies like CMHA offer services for families of loved ones. The issue for me has always been, regardless of how many episodes I have had there is no definitive test that can prove I have bipolar. In that way, it can be easy to doubt when your mood leads you there. I think for you it is okay to set boundaries and make them clear. You can have expectations of how much a person is willing to take care of themselves. I really wish you all the best.

Comment

Hey FriedEgg, I've been on Abilify for a couple of years now and didn't have any weight gain until recently (last six months). I stopped taking an anti-depressant for a while, and that seems to be when the weight gain started. In a spot where i either need to get the weight gain to stop, or start buying new clothes... Ugh

Comment

Thank you paul m and MissMoods for that advice. You are telling me its hard to diagnose. Now she is being told she is just on the CUSP of BP2 . which to her is .. "why are you asking me to take mood stabilizers if I am not officially diagnosed". She has been misdiagnosed quite a few times in her life so her trust with the medical system is not very good right now. Currently She is back on her Zoloft. but her anxiety is so bad she can't be alone and I am the only one that works so she is constantly going between her parents and home to be around people. I can't afford to take time off... the mistrust is making this process even more difficult.

I don't think she will ever take mood stabilizers. If things get really bad ... i will have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Right now her health anxiety is really bad... so many tests and then anxiety
                    to do the test. to get the results and more anxiety when she feels something is wrong. Right now she literally thinks she is dying... I will say that self care is of the utmost importance. and without it I don't know where I would be .. Thank you all for your well wishes and support.. will keep you posted.

Comment

I'm on Abilify too, I've gained 20 lbs on it in 2 months. It feels like every time I eat something bad I'll gain something.

Comment

Hello SushiLu and welcome. Please feel free to answer other people's question, ask questions and/or use the forum to answer other people's questions.Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forum SushiLu.
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                          X